Bottom Bracket compatibility

gaff_taff
gaff_taff Posts: 346
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone,

i have completely stripped my bike and am building it up from scratch, the current cranks/bottom bracket are a square taper sort, but i want the cranks and bottom bracket removed to fit a new deore chainset, the bb that comes wth the deore chainset is external, so would it fit straight away or would i need my frame faced to have it fit? Or will it just not fit regardless?

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd face it, just to be on the safe side. But it will fit (with the right spacers, which come with the BB).
  • gaff_taff
    Ok, thats good to hear, will deffinately get it faced as i will be respraying my bike so it will have paint and other crap near it, how much would you expect a lbs to charge to face it, fit the cranks and bb?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    20 quid, if nude.
  • supersonic
    £25 for facing and fitting. less if you buy it from them ;-)
  • gaff_taff
    just watched a video on the youtubess and installing the bottom brakcet is a piece of p*ss so i will just need it faced :D My lbs are extortionate on another level so i want to avoid them as much as possible,

Last question, how much does your average lbs charge to index gears and fit the cables?
  • supersonic
    About £20 again - but is easy to do at home too!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read Parktools website - how to do everything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shop around for facing, got my daughters done for a tenner (when buying the chainset there), if they want £25, see what they would charge if you bought the chainset from them, may work out cheaper to pay more for the chainset and then less for the facing!

My daughter paid just over £60 all in for Deore HT2 and facing (we fitted it) so Rosebikes at £41 plus £25 facing would have been dearer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gaff_taff
    Will do, found a deal on fleabay where i can get the deore chainset, bottom bracket, chain and cassete, for £81 all in, not sure if my lbs would be able to match that but its worth a try