Will bathing my bicyicle stain the bath?

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
As above.

I can't get it all in at one time, have to do it from the front then the back once I've got it positioned right as the bath appears to be too short.

Will the oil and all that dripping off the bike stain the bath?

Any cleaning products that would remove ainy potential stains?

Comments

• HiMoz
    HiMoz Posts: 62
    Didnt need to look at the author to guess who's post this was ;)
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Which one of you get's the end with the taps?
    Graham. :D
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    You can cut a slot down one end into which the front wheel will go, thus making it fit. As for cleaning the bath afterwards, citric acid and active air bubles are best, so I would recommend using a Buck's Fizz.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    First thing first.Got to think ahead here so I would recommend that you empty the bath cabinet,washing basket,shoe drawers-this will give you room to transfer the coal from the bath.Where that stuff goes,I dont know,have you got an outside privy?If not, then maybe you should have thought of that when you moved in.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • willhub
    I'm on about a bicycle here, not a coal powered motorbike why would my bike have coal on it?
  • HiMoz
    HiMoz Posts: 62
    Thanks for the new sig will. Classic.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited April 2012
    Edit
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy
    edited April 2012
    Those tin portable baths you lot use in the north are cheap, so get another one just for the bike, thereby keeping the family one clean.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Will,

It depends if your bath is made of metal or plastic. To find out, sit in it in the nude with no water in. If it feels very cold it's metal.

Plastic ones are more porous so oil, cleaning products etc. could stain it. My suggestion would be to coat the bath with Vaseline to protect it, a bit like greasing a cake tin.

I would also make sure you don't submerge the bottom bracket for too long as water can get in and damage it. You should also protect the shifters from water - maybe use something like a shower cap on each one to keep the damp off.

When finished you will need to towel dry it. If you have a hairdryer you could use this to get the hard to reach parts dry. Don't use the hottest setting though as it could melt the carbon.

Hope this helps.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I had to check that it wasn't April 1st when I read the original post. Sorry.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Aggieboy
    Will, bring it around to my gaff. I'll get it sorted for you -

bikeclean1.jpg

bikeclean2.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Am I the only person who i going to say it?

Don't put your bike in the bath.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    In the interest of water conservation make sure you put two bikes in the bath at the same time, '69' :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Am I the only person who i going to say it?

Don't put your bike in the bath.
    hotel baths , or walkin (shagging) showers are great for bikes - Hotel towels are excellent for wiping down too :0
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • willhub
    I'd not fill the bath up, I'd simply spray some water on a sponge and then rinse the bike.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Will,

Clean your bike outside like the rest of us do. Garden, Back Yard, Garage, Footpath, anywhere, wherever, but do it outside!

Get a bucket, some car shampoo, some old rags and some hot water and you'll be done in 10-15 minutes.

Don't do it in the bathroom, bedroom or the kitchen or any other room in the house for that matter. I'll admit I build bikes up in the spare room and sometimes the front room if Mrs Schweiz isn't around and there's something good on TV but we have tiled floors and I'm working with clean parts. Even then, there's some cleaning up to do and a few marks on the wallpaper.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If it's any help (and why would it be?) I used to degrease components in the shower when I was at university and it didn't leave any stains. Hot water and high pressure did the trick, but I made sure to disassemble the bike first: crank arms = yes, pedals = no, fully assembled bottom bracket = no, but how anyway?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Personally I would never try to clean my bike indoors! When I wash it down outside with a bucket of hot water, the plastic bucket is generally irreversibly stained with oil and gunge. In the past I emptied the bucket of dirty water into the kitchen sink and that was instantly stained with oil slick which took me ages to get off... Don't do it unless you want to spend ages cleaning the bath afterwards...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I always wash my bikes in the bath. No problem at all.
    Take the wheels off and clean them first, then frame upside down on each side, then flip over.
    Muc Off, scrub with a kitchen brush, rinse with shower.

The bath's fine, oil on the walls/tiles is the biggest problem, but easy to clean with washing up liquid and sponge.
    I tend to do it before the bathroom needs a clean anyway.
    exercise.png
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    TheStone wrote:
    I always wash my bikes in the bath. No problem at all.
    Take the wheels off and clean them first, then frame upside down on each side, then flip over.
    Muc Off, scrub with a kitchen brush, rinse with shower.

The bath's fine, oil on the walls/tiles is the biggest problem, but easy to clean with washing up liquid and sponge.
    I tend to do it before the bathroom needs a clean anyway.

^me too as above.
    Bath cleans fine with Flash liquid afterwards. Only do this if it's wet outside
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    I would just use someone else's bath. Don't bother mucking up your own. If you go to Liverpool, find a pro footballers house, make sure its match day and break in. Seen as they are rich:
    A) Its probably fitted with a Jacuzzi, which means
    B) You can fill it with soap and wahey - ready made bubble wash
    C) You and the bike can fit in together and...
    D) They have got cleaners, so its no skin off their noses.

Have you tried strapping the bike to the car roof (flat) and then driving through the drive thru' car wash? (I know some of you smart 4rses will say only one side will be clean - you have 30 seconds to turn it over before the rig comes back at you)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    LOL......remembering some of Bhimas threads, I'm not surprised Will is good friends with him.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Bicyicle...

Is this some kind of hybrid to ride in the snow...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Oh... and

E) they will blame a local for it so you won't be caught

Eh eh calm down, calm down...
    (I do not intend to visit Liverpool in the near future)

Disclaimer: I, the undersigned, have been victim of brainwashing due to the mass media and stereotypeing by a generation of comedians such as Harry Enfield and Kelvin McKenzie. I therefore hold no resposibility for my comments which are often sexist, biased, opinionated, false, rude and inconsidered.

Please read my forthcoming book. Its all about the continued exploitation, discrimination and social degradation of women in the 21st century. The books called, 'Women with big knockers'.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Can't believe I missed this thread... I mean, missed the opportunity to give my advice.

Will, You should be fine, as someone said earlier make sure you grease the bath first with vaseline.

The next most important part is that you absolutely MUST be nude when you clean the bike. Pay particular attention that you don't catch your testicles in the chain or the spokes. That can smart. A lot.

It is also worth using pillows under the saddle and handle bars(you should put the kine in upside down) to ensre they don't get damaged. Don't use pillows with real feathers in them though as they can generate a chemical reaction with the vaseline and bike oil which has been known to set them alight.

Toothpaste is, surprisingly, a very good de-greaser. Smear that across both your chain and cassette, brush in, like you would with your teeth (make sure to get right round the back) and it will be like new.

Finally, after drying the bike (must use hairdryer, again, as mentioned before) you should always use talcumpowder round the bike, to smooth it off. You should also, as a matter of course, make sure your testicles have had a good dusting before dressing after cleaning the bike. In fact, you should always make sure they get a good dusting. If you don't have talc, selfraising flour can be used.

Good luck.