Road wheels/tyres for MTB

tempted
tempted Posts: 6
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've just ordered a Cube Acid which I intend to use on road/paths during the week and then take it somewhere off road at the weekends. I started looking on Chain Reaction for wheels and tyres and ended up totally confused.

Are 2 wheels and 2 tyres all I need or do I also need to buy inner tubes and valves too? Are there other things I need to consider? How much should I spend?

Many thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You'd need new disc rotors too and shims so they sit in the same position, a cassette - maybe have to readjust the gears.

Easiest way is to simply swap the tyres and tubes, often quicker and less hassle. Or if the tyre is the same size (ish) just tyres.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Road tyres on a budget, Schwalbe city jets, no contest, shop around and you can get them for about a tenner each, certainly no more than £12 each.
    Wheels, as SS says using the same wheels can avoid having to re-centre the brake callipers, or look on ebay or in classifieds for some semi decent near you (P&P on wheels is pricey in proportion to the cost of the wheels!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tempted
    tempted Posts: 6
    Thanks for the input.

I honestly thought it would be less hassle to swap the wheels over with the tyres pre-fitted tbh!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sometimes they go in fine, sometimes the disc location is out slightly and you'll need to recentre the caliper, I have 2 front wheels, both Shimano M475 hubs and can swap them fine, when I borrowed the lads Spesh wheel I had to loosen the calliper to even fit it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.