Anyone know anything about Tom Board?

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,537
edited October 2014 in Pro race
Back in the late eighties I got a frame built by him (now sadly rusting in a mates garage... future restoration project).
If I remember correctly he was a fairly handy rider on the UK circuit in the fifties.

Anyone know of him, as a rider or frame builder?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• I knew him in my late teens say 25 years ago. I worked at a shop called Bell st bicycles and he built frames for us. He built one for me that I designed and I supplied the Italian tubes and lugs, I still have it as I cant bring myself to part with it. At that time he was in the basement of a bike shop owned by a women in All Saints road near to Portabello road. He built for Condor mainly. He was a nice guy too.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,537
    goonhavern wrote:
    I knew him in my late teens say 25 years ago. I worked at a shop called Bell st bicycles and he built frames for us. He built one for me that I designed and I supplied the Italian tubes and lugs, I still have it as I cant bring myself to part with it. At that time he was in the basement of a bike shop owned by a women in All Saints road near to Portabello road. He built for Condor mainly. He was a nice guy too.

Yes, I remember the basement.

I remember chatting to him for ages about angles and various braze-ons (I was building a fast tourer). Then when we'd worked out exactly what it was going to be he said "And what colour do you want it?" and I seriously hadn't even thought about it, I'd been running through budgets for parts etc. I totally froze. I think nowadays I'd probably decide the colour first! British Racing Green it was then. :-D

Bloody good frame it was as well, tough as hell. My dad stuck it on a bike rack and managed to drive it into the underpass at Euston. Ripped the rack off the roof along with some of the roof trim, not a scratch on the bike.

Cheers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format