For the SE Wales mob - pubs near CC?

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
edited April 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Right you lot - I'm staying in Newbridge this Thursday night (got an uplift day at CC on the Friday). Any ideas for pubs that serve good pub grub? - and preferably don't dish up a good kicking for not being a local :P . Last time we went to some place called The Otter just off the Trecelyn roundabout but it was a bit of a bland family joint, there must be something a bit better?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• Depends how far you want to travel.

My fav in the area is about 30 mins aways -The Maenllwyd Inn.

Really really good food.
    http://www.chefandbrewer.com/pub/maenll ... lly/s5497/
  • Stevo_666
    Depends how far you want to travel.

My fav in the area is about 30 mins aways -The Maenllwyd Inn.

Really really good food.
    http://www.chefandbrewer.com/pub/maenll ... lly/s5497/
    Thanks NM, that looks good. Mind you, I'll probably be a bit tired of driving after the 3 and a half hour jaunt over from Kent so if there's anything in the town I can walk to and have a couple of beers that'd be top.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    just go into the first local boozer you find wearing an England rugby shirt loudly proclaiming that they would not have won a six nations game without the help of the extremey impartial refereeing!

should be a laugh!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Not sure how many Newbridges there are in this neck of the world,Newbridge on Usk is ~5 miles south of the town of Usk? There's a single pub - The Newbridge - which is pretty upmarket (owned by Chris Evans apparently). Anyway lovely grub, lovely spot, not cheap. Otherwise I'd head into Usk itself.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    hi mate, there's no standout pubs around there really, but i'd say the best one is a chain pub called the otter. * ha ha i didn't read your first post properly :lol:

i've only been there once but the food was OK and there's no 'locals' atmosphere and was pretty friendly.

http://www.otterpub.co.uk/

or the other one which is about 5mins drive away is where the local mtb club meet called the halfway inn, the food is supposed to be really good and it's a nice little pub:

http://www.thevalleys.co.uk/accommodati ... ouse-p3931

or you're about 10 mins from me, come around and the missus will cook you tea :wink::lol: but seriously, what time you getting here? thursday night is our ride night if you fancy tagging along?
  • Stevo_666
    welshkev wrote:
    or you're about 10 mins from me, come around and the missus will cook you tea :wink::lol: but seriously, what time you getting here? thursday night is our ride night if you fancy tagging along?
    Your missus is very accommodating :D

Actually that's a good idea, ta - how far are you going? As long as it's not going to leave me totally farked for Friday's downhilling - I've got a mate coming along on the Friday morning and I need to try and keep up - there's pride at stake :-) Was aiming to get there about 6.30 but could make it a bit earlier.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    Your missus is very accommodating :D

Actually that's a good idea, ta - how far are you going? As long as it's not going to leave me totally farked for Friday's downhilling - I've got a mate coming along on the Friday morning and I need to try and keep up - there's pride at stake :-) Was aiming to get there about 6.30 but could make it a bit earlier.

we normally meet at 6 and do between 14 - 20km but it's a very easy pace and mixed group of lads- depending on who's out, sometimes there's 10+ other times it's just 2 of us. drop me a PM and we'll sort something out :D
  • Stevo_666
    You have PM mate :)