Fully suspended bicycle - To buy or not to buy?

Slow Loris
Slow Loris Posts: 128
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I already have a 120mm hardtail which I want to keep, however I'm struggling to resist the urge to buy a full sus bike, as I've never owned one and would like to know what I've been missing out on.

However, looking at the array of different styles and travels of available bikes I'm not sure what to go for. As I've already got an HT I'm reluctant to just look at short travel XC bikes like the anthem as I'm not sure they'll offer that much more than I already have. But also as I'm geographically restricted to mainly riding Surrey Hills area I'm pretty sure anything much longer would be unnecessary, although I would love to ride some of the rougher stuff and a new bike might give me the motivation to take my riding further on.

So on the one hand I'm thinking a 120mm fs like a Trance would be a sensible option, but on the other I do tend to be the kind of person that needs a bit of a push to try new things but then end up embracing them, and so am thinking a versatile long travel bike like a Genius LT might be that push.

So should I:

a) keep my wallet shut and enjoy my HT as full sussers are overrated and pointless/I'm still a bit too shit and wouldn't benefit from the upgrade
b) get a 120mm FS as this will give me more scope/range/confidence in riding
c) get a longer travel FS and push myself instead of sticking to the same old XC/trail riding, reverting to the HT for normal riding.

Anyone got any ideas or advice on what I could do here?
2011 Genesis Latitude
2009 GT Transeo 3.0

Comments

• If you like trying new things why not get a road bike, that will give you more riding variety?

[ducks] :D
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Why don't you go to a trail centre that does hire bikes, rent a long travel bike and see if you enjoy it?
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    hmm - a full susser will give more confidence on more technical trails but i'm a believer in geometry being as much responsible for confidence as suspension.

If your current ride is giving you plenty of enjoyment, why change out of cusiosity, especially if your riding is going to be no different.

You can ride trail centres on a HT no problem - but if you are planning on a few trips to S,Wales, the north and scotland you will find a good trail FS bike lets your get more out of the ride and the trail and be more forgiving of rider errors on unfamiliar trails (IMO), a 140mm trail bike will manage all but the most stupid of DH descents in this country.
  • Slow Loris
    No Arthur, no.

McNulty that is too sensible; though trail centre hire is a good idea.. any near london have long travel bike hire and applicable trails? (that probably necessitates its own thread tho)
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • Slow Loris
    Tom, I would mostly be riding in Surrey but further afield the Lakes and Downs would be the most likely dests. I'd like to try more challenging routes than I currently attempt, hence the lure of a longer travel FS. I'd prefer not keep doing the same tracks even though I do enjoy it.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I don't really know the trail centres down South I'm afraid. I do know Cubes are available at Whinlatter in The Lakes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    a/ Enjoy your HT, upgrade it if you want a 'better' bike
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Slow Loris
    There's not a great deal to upgrade on my current bike without spending alot of money. It's already fully SLX/XT and has a Recon Gold RL air fork. I know there's lots better kit out there to be had, but I think the one thing that's missing is a rear shock tbh!
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • Slow Loris
    That's one vote for a) then, and the winner so far. I suppose I could just man up and throw myself off more silly stuff until I/the bike breaks.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The fact you called it a fully suspended bicycle means you don't deserve one.
  • Slow Loris
    Heh, that's more of an aversion I have to cringy phrases like 'full bouncer' and the like. I tend to go the other way, and end up sounding even more of a nob. Please ignore my phraseology, just accept the meaning!
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0