Orange 5 - what is it worth?

Routier
Routier Posts: 94
edited April 2012 in MTB general
I'll be buying my brother's 5 some time soon and could do with a bit of help setting a value for it. It's a 2005 model with XT, Hope brakes and nice wheels and finishing kit. It's immaculate, as new really.

I've looked on fleabay but there's only one completed listing that's similar, at £580. I was thinking it might be worth a little more but I'm guessing really.

Cheers

Comments

• Andy Dobson
    Andy Dobson Posts: 366
    What size is it? Makes a difference.

I'll start the bidding at £5 posted but I'm willing to throw in some glossy 8x10's of one of the members wifes. :lol: .
    Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy :-)
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'd give you some cheese for it. As it's a 5 I've got some very special cheese, it smells just like a sheep that hasn't cleansed after lambing.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Due to devaluation, I'll give you 3 oranges, and one segment of a chocolate orange.
  • Routier
    I think we have a slight togetherness shortfall here guys, but thanks for reaching out to me.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Routier wrote:
    I think we have a slight togetherness shortfall here guys, but thanks for reaching out to me.
    No worries. It's just part of our "care in the (online) community" duties.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Routier wrote:
    In that case I'll offer a chocolate orange and a roll of gaffer tape. Accept it quick before the mods realise that you've broken rule 15 and lock the thread.

(no offence intended, it's usual to have the mickey taken in what's it worth threads. We're not a bad bunch really :wink: )
  • Routier
    Oops, I didn't realise. I'm not used to such strict rules...
  • Not much more than £1 I reckon.

Mate weighed in a similarly heavy piece of scrap metal the other day and got 78p.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd rather have a five ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I was dropped on my head as a baby
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd rather have a five ;)
    Hmm, I'm with Ilovedirt here too.
    As much as I dislike the aesthetic of the Orange, it does have a reputation as a solid performer. I'm not convinced how stiff the back end would be on that Mongoose.
  • ilovedirt
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    trolololol
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'm not convinced how stiff the back end would be on that Mongoose.

On what basis? The Teocali back end is plenty stiff enough. I'm with Supersonic, I'd rather spend £600 on a new bike with a decent enough spec and warranty than a 5 year old Orange Five.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ilovedirt wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    drool potato
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Beatmaker wrote:

On what basis?
    Nothing. I just know that 5s are a durable bike, and I do NOT know about the Teocali.

And on that note, someone else saying "plenty stiff enough" doesn't give me any real indication of what that means. Plenty of people find ultralight flimsy carbon hardtails "plenty stiff enough" whereas I don't.
    This might surprise you, but different people have differing opinions.
  • ilovedirt
    Beatmaker wrote:

On what basis?
    Nothing. I just know that 5s are a durable bike, and I do NOT know about the Teocali.

And on that note, someone else saying "plenty stiff enough" doesn't give me any real indication of what that means. Plenty of people find ultralight flimsy carbon hardtails "plenty stiff enough" whereas I don't.

This, i'd rather have an older bike that I have some idea of how it rides with a better (but used) spec than a new bike for the same money with let's say a 'functional' spec, and no idea of ride characteristics. In fact that's why the majority of my bikes have been bought used, or at the very least the frame.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • That Teocali is a sweet frame... proven to be tough.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4EbYafeh7Q
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    I'd give you some cheese for it. As it's a 5 I've got some very special cheese, it smells just like a sheep that hasn't cleansed after lambing.

Soap and water usually cures embarrassing odours. :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Beatmaker wrote:

On what basis?

Having ridden them both, the Teocali is stiffer out back!
  • supersonic
    a better (but used) spec

So would I. Not sure it applies to a 7 year old Orange with Hope's though... ;-). Guess we need to know the full spec.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    supersonic wrote:
    Beatmaker wrote:

On what basis?

I was following my cousins five a bit yesterday, the flex in that swingarm was suprising and very visible at times, slowing down the camera footage it's quite amazing really.
  • supersonic
    They are pretty flexy - for some this is not always a bad thing though, as some people can feel that flex adding a little more grip and sort of being able to track around objects. Others feel it the other way, like a partly flat tyre when cornering.

I think it is something you can get used to though, within limits.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    supersonic wrote:
    Maybe it needed more lube?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    supersonic wrote:
    a better (but used) spec

So would I. Not sure it applies to a 7 year old Orange with Hope's though... ;-). Guess we need to know the full spec.
    7 years old you say? Hmm, then it would depend on the state of the finishing kit.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Beatmaker wrote:

On what basis?

Ah, ok. The way I read your feedback I thought you had reason to doubt the stiffness of the Teocali, hence why I asked on what basis. I was surprised as having owned two Teocali's always found the rear to be acceptably stiff, and I'm more of a wheels off the ground type rider than an XC whippet.

My "plenty stiff enough" comment is based on riding both bikes on numerous occasions, and being both an Orange and Mongoose dealer in the past so being able to compare both models.