Why 53/44

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,661
edited April 2012 in Pro race
So...

Why would a rider run a 53/44 set up on the front? That's adding more weight (albeit tiny) and reducing the options they have? Changing gear at the back would allow the rider to have the optimum gear ratio. IS it a one ring for the cobbles, one for the road type thing?

What is the benefit of a 44?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    why would you need a 39 when theres no big hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ddraver wrote:
    So...

Why would a rider run a 53/44 set up on the front? That's adding more weight (albeit tiny) and reducing the options they have? Changing gear at the back would allow the rider to have the optimum gear ratio. IS it a one ring for the cobbles, one for the road type thing?

What is the benefit of a 44?

More choice on the flat...

It's the same number of choices, but between a narrower set of gear inches.

The cobbles slow them enough to warrent a smaller ring, but not so slow that they need a 39.

Hence the 44.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Also, if you are running a 44, you have a smaller drop in chain length - you can run a shorter chain and therefore are less likely to suffer from chain drop.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Despite what David Harmon says, the first part of P-Rx is gently rolling through the Picardie region - you can pretty well ride the whole course on the big ring but having a 44 allows you to roll gently whereas on a 39 you'd probably be in the 12 or 13. Average speed for the first couple of hours was something like 48kph - don't expect there were many twiddling on a 39?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Do they really get into the granny ring on the cobbles?
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    AFAIK some early sections of cobbles have slight inclines warranting the use of a 44. Ive seen some pics of older editions with these sections where you can see guys on the 44 and mid-cassette behind (i.e. 15 or 16)... I'll see if I can dig out some pics
    www.dotcycling.com
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    emadden wrote:
    AFAIK some early sections of cobbles have slight inclines warranting the use of a 44. Ive seen some pics of older editions with these sections where you can see guys on the 44 and mid-cassette behind (i.e. 15 or 16)... I'll see if I can dig out some pics

Back end of Carrefour d'arbre is an uphill drag too I believe.

Sky probably used the 44s there anyway ;).