Saracen ZEN-X

iwantblue
iwantblue Posts: 134
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone actually have one??
and if so can you confirm the full spec for me please?
Or at least compare it to either Saracen themselves or Tredz/Cycle-solutions please.

I've tried contacting Saracen and Cycle solutions as their spec differ... Cycle solutions repeated their website spec, but Saracen still haven't replied, so I've tried again..

Sorry not a very interesting first post, but I'm struggling for inspiration for Cycle to work from Cycle solutions, as they don't do Cube, (I like almost all of them LOL) and having read the favorable review I took a look at the Zen-x pics (no dealer within 50 miles :( ) and visually I quite like the zen-X but CS have it as a 27 speed slightly lower spec altus shifters/acera FM 390 / than the 30 speed alivio shifters /deore FM 590.

is it likely that it's been released with two specs?

Also interested in any personal reviews and pics as most reviews seem to to be reprints...

initial use is to be road/flat trail but assuming the arthritic knees take it I'd like to go properly off-road.

Heres hoping there are some owners out there ...

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is not uncommon for manufacturers to change the specs through a season - often more than once. Their website may not always reflect that, but you don't but from the manufacturer, you buy from the shop.

Whatever the shop says the spec is should be the spec they deliver.

But... saying that, everywhere else has it has 10 speed! Is odd.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I thought the naming of the bike came from the 10 speed rear - hence X.....sure I read that in a saracen press blurb.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwantblue
    Thanks for the replies Guys... It's been frustrating trying to nail it down over the last week, banging my head against a brick wall.
    Here's hoping there there are actually some owners that might spot it ....
    The lack of cube and a few other manufacturers along with genuinely great bargains on the site has made it had to find what I want from the C2w scheme, but I guess I shouldn't complain, at least there is one...
  • The Rookie
    Isn't the Zen X at £1099 outside the £1000 most schemes allow?

Charge Coker or Mondraker finalist pro are both 10s rear and sub £1K and a decent enough spec....

http://cyclesolutions-shop.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?catid=2&sPrice=900&ePrice=1049.99&filter1=Mens%20or%20Unisex
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwantblue
    edited April 2012
    Isn't the Zen X at £1099 outside the £1000 most schemes allow?

Charge Coker or Mondraker finalist pro are both 10s rear and sub £1K and a decent enough spec....

http://cyclesolutions-shop.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?catid=2&sPrice=900&ePrice=1049.99&filter1=Mens%20or%20Unisex
    we have slight discounts on the CS standard prices, and also £1.1K for some reason... was £1k last year.
    Zen-X is coming in at £989...EDIT miss-typed it's not £899
    Thanks for the suggestions... Heathen I know, but the thin frames'n'colourways don't float my boat on the Charge'
    finalist doesn't do it for me either :oops:
    Generally the stuff I like on there is out of budget, and they don't have many(odd one or two) last years models to help get VFM Thanks for your input though!!
    A mate has suggested the Jab from that lot and I don't mind it 'in white' but again it's not quite right...I've gotta like the look of it too :)
    I popped to Paul's last week and really quite liked the LTD Race Pro @ £950, but they (CS) Don't do CUBE :( I've asked...
    the Trip to Paul's was about seeing whether to forget (CS) completely but the tax break is too good to write off if you'll pardon the pun..
    Had a couple of people shoo me away from the Saracen, but the bad rep doesn't bother me if it rides well, might even be a plus on the theft stakes :mrgreen:
  • Sodfoster
    Sodfoster Posts: 412
    Not sure if this helps but I owned the 2010 Zen 3 and found it to be an excellent HT, very fast when pointed down and a great blast. My was the 9 spd version but Im sure the 2011 models were all 10 spd so presume the x is the same.

My only gripe was that its a slog on the hills, so long all day wild rides were a painful experiance. However, it ate up most trail centres I went too.

For £899 I think the spec is an absolute bargain- you couldnt find a cube that well spec'd for the money.
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • iwantblue
    Thanks SF, Live in Norfolk so not too many long uphill slogs ;)
    Your model 2010 zen 3 is available actually, and I think it's a better spec too. but It just doesn't appeal to me as much as the New framed zen-X and they only have 14" and 16" left...

The 2011 Zen 1-2-3 don't appeal due to the colour schemes and the '3' being £1214 anyway...

If Saracen would answer my queries I could at least put to bed the chainset'n'shifters difference, but I'll make some phone calls tomorrow and see if CS/Wheelies/(Tredz??) have any in stock
    I think they are affiliated arn't they?
    Thanks for the info anyway, I quite like the new zen frame shape too so I'm all but there I guess...
    each time I look back at the zen after other bikes the same price (at CS)I favor it , and I guess theres plenty of upgrade and bling potential if I really get the bug, just would have been nice to get that tax break on the upgrades too ;) though realistically It's far more spec and capable than I'm likely to need.

Will see if anyone has actually bought one in the next few days before my 'D-Day'...

I'll ring the dealers that are 50= miles away too and see if they have any stock..
    For some reason Saracen havent done the straight side on shot of the zen-x and the close-ups on their site like they have most of the other bikes :( I like the look of the mantra in colour/spec in the pics though and they are near identical bar forks. so I think I'll be happy with it
    I keep looking back
  • Sodfoster
    Sodfoster Posts: 412
    Man you have talked yourself into buying it!!
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • iwantblue
    Sodfoster wrote:
    Man you have talked yourself into buying it!!

Chuckle...

You may be right...
    LBS don't have one but said they can order and get very quickly, but I can't do that.

Threw a few questions around the web for clarification of Spec, but the only person I've seen post anywhere that they actually have one said they loved it LOL,

I've asked a few questions around and about, and will make time for some phone calls tomorrow.

I'd be in this situation with any of the 'on-line deals' really, not being able to try it, I guess the fact even the Saracen Website only has the one shot of it (admittedly a quality one) and not the normal close ups/side shot aren't available doesn't help.

although it's £989, it works out to £673 so Sub £700 for a bike that MBUK rated @4.5 stars @£1100 so I don't think I can really go to far wrong.

I was just surprised when I couldn't find any other references to the bike other than the review and standard Saracen blurb repeated.
  • The Rookie
    IWANTBLUE wrote:
    was about seeing whether to forget (CS) completely but the tax break is too good to write off:
    You do know avout the Fair Market Value rules don't you, or do you get one of those 'tax avoidance' long rents at the end?
  • iwantblue
    I do indeed...
    last year I only found out about the scheme with a couple of weeks to go and wasn't happy with the somewhat ambiguous 'terms'. However that scheme is ending now and the fee is 'Nominal' so I'm happy to take a punt on it.
  • iwantblue
    Had Tredz Confirm the 10sp and that 9sp was a mistake on their site so thats one concern disappearing, :mrgreen: I'm becoming convinced, so now for size...

I realise with size it's all subjective but allowing for adjustments with stem and seat, would I be better off going for the smaller of two frames I think are viable...17" or 19"? the TT is fairly steeply raked so without knowing the actual BB height I'm fairly certain that stand-over isn't an issue..

I'm 5'9 with 29"ileg.the stem is 60-90 /7degree so leeway either way with that.
    My best guess is slap bang in the 17" really does being Very heavyweight have any bearing? :oops: generally smaller=stronger, but it looks a strong frame anyway. anyway in the absence of any owners to the thread can any of you point out any glaring issues with the sizing (online order no stock locally)

FRAME SIZES S 15" M 17" L 19" XL 21"
    ST Seat Tube Length (mm) 381 431.8 482.6 533.4
    TT Horizontal Toptube Length (mm) 575 595 615 635
    HT Headtube Length (mm) 115 115 125 125
    HA Head Angle 68° 68° 68° 68°
    SA Seat Angle 72.5° 72.5° 72.5° 73°
    CS Chanstay Length (mm) 425 425 425 425
    BB BB Drop (mm) 20 20 20 20
    WB Wheelbase Length (mm) 1088.2 1109.2 1135.6 1156.6

Cheers,