Any obvious upgrades? - Carrera Fury 2010

bdigital
bdigital Posts: 193
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I have Carrera Fury 2010 http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... y-10-35495

Its been great for me over the past 2 years, and everything is still stock. I have been wondering are there any obvious areas to upgrade on it?

It still works fine, although the brakes are a little spongy so im thinking maybe i could get new ones?

Anything else thats screaming out for an upgrade on it?

Also, a friend has this seat (SDG Formula FXR Ti Alloy Saddle 2011) which looks pretty good - Any opinions on it for general off roading/bridleways/XC 2-3 hours at a time http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=65189

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Brakes may just need bleeding.

To be honest, there is nothing I'd upgrade until parts wear out.
  • bdigital
    Thanks supersonic - The bike is still in great condition as i have looked after it. So perhaps il just pay for the brakes to be bled. How much could i be looking at if i ask my local bike joint?

I really like the bike, but im wondering if my choice of a 20" frame (im 6ft 1) was wrong. 9 times out of ten i dont notice a problem, but when on a more demanding trail (usually going downhill) i dont really feel properly in control. Also when im going down a steep slope i feel a bit high up, which make me think perhaps the bike is a tad too big.

Other than that i love it :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most people prefer a bit high up on the downslopes as gives a better position. A shorter frame will actually accentuate this. But you could always try a lower bar.

You can buy bleed kits (assuming this is the problem), but looking at £25 for a shop to do them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to clarify, when you say spongey, you mean the lever feels mushy, or the braking a bit off what you expect?

The former could just be bleading needed, the latter new pads (cheaper as it' easier DIY).

What brakes are fitted?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bdigital
    Just to clarify, when you say spongey, you mean the lever feels mushy, or the braking a bit off what you expect?

The former could just be bleading needed, the latter new pads (cheaper as it' easier DIY).

What brakes are fitted?

When i say spongy, i mean.... I have to pull the lever in quite far before anything happens, and i really have to pull hard for them to slam on the anchors.
  • if its standard then pedals are a must! and some decent grips. i have the same bike and these upgrades help no end. the avid juicy 3 brakes arnt the best, ive changed the lines to braided and gave them a good bleed and its has made a huge difference to the braking although they still arnt amazing tbh... other things ive done are a charge spoon saddle, much nicer! those 4 little mods will make such a difference and will only come in at around £90 with a bleed kit to sort the brakes.

if everything else works fine then dont worry to much. i bent the rear mech so changed to xt and xt shifters. put a bit of bling with a carbon riser bar, red gear cables, kcnc quick release seatpost clampm, and also raises the travel to 140mm instead of 120mm. i love it!
  • I have an 08 Fury and I honestly can't fault it. I put new pedals on because the OEM ones are always gash, on most bikes. Stuck a crudcratcher on there and I now get less mud in my face. And that's pretty much it. Tyres and grips. I'm itching to 'upgrade', but a little scared to because it's spot on as is....what if I make it worse? :shock:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    there's only one obviously upgrade for the 2010 fury, and thats something much more expensive with suspension at both ends, anything else would be a waste :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011