carrera vengance

philipc421
philipc421 Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi can anyone help me on how to fit a new set of brake pads to the above bike? tried but now have no resistance on the front brake.

Thanks
Phil

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I assume its the 11/12 model with the cable disc brakes? if so make sure you have pulled enough cable through so that the outside pad is about 1mm or so away from the disc and then using the allen key bolt port on the inside of the caliper wind it in until it is the same. You should then have even pressure either side of the disc and providing sufficient stopping power.
  • Hi yeah its the 11-12 model with the hydraulic cable disc brakes I will try this and see what happens it was working fine last week but when I have gone to change pads lost all power on front brake. The break leaver pulls back to the handle bar and does not stop wheel
  • oxocube1
    Yea if the lever is travelling all the way back to the grip with no bite like you say then that definitely means the pads are not close enough to the disc. You will most likely need to pull a few cm of cable through the pinch bolt on the caliper arm and ensure its done up tight enough so the cable does not slip out.
  • Brilliant thanks for your help just new to all of this with bikes and aint got a clue hahah
  • where on the bike is the pinch bolt on the caliper arm
  • oxocube1
    No worries fella glad I could help, and that pinch bolt is in the picture in step 6 of this guide::
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ing-22829/
    It's the one with the allen key being used in it.

That guide should give you some tips, some of it is about hydraulic disc brakes which you won't need but the first part is about cable brakes like yours.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    philipc421 wrote:
    hydraulic cable disc brakes
    The WHAT?
    Cable has a steel cable
    Hydraulic have a fluid filled hose

Yours should be cable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • having checked bike again this morning there is no cable to pull through on the front wheel as suggested
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Photo please......or the names off the brake parts at the very least (all names)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Shimano BR-M445 hydraulic disc brakes

and pic
  • oxocube1
    Ahhh ok that's not the latest version of the vengeance. The 11/12 model now comes with cable disc brakes. If yours has hydraulic brakes then they will need to be bled by the sounds of it. The brake may have been compressed whilst the wheel was off causing low pressure/not bite at the lever. There are plenty of bleed instruction videos on youtube and you can get a bleed kit off eBay from around £10-£20. Otherwise it is taking it into a bike shop and getting it done. I know at Halfords where I work it cost £19.99 per brake for a bleed and is probably a similar price elsewhere.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Reset the pads before you try bleeding - if they worked fine before I doubt they need bleeding now. Take the wheel off, squeeze the brakes carefully so the pads close (but not enough to pop the pistons out. Then open them with a flat bladed screwdriver just enough to fit the disc in.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools