What to wear?

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,098
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Summer: Shorts, T-Shirt, cycling top, Gillet in back pocket

Deep mid winter: Winter Tights, T-Shirt, Base Layer, Thermal Top, Windstopper, Bib shorts, Liner gloves, gloves, skull cap, wooly hat, socks, overshoes, Gillet in back pocket, (£5 note and a message attached case I hit a patch of ice and end up in a ditch) - and by the time I have got all that on i'm knackered. When I get off the bike, i'm too knackered to take it all off.

Spring (ha ha): Nope; winter tights were too warm, base layer or not?, thermal top and windstopper?, fingerless mitts or gloves?, skull cap or bandana, overshoes?. Why don't I just have a rucksack on my back which will contain anything I need for anything that is chucked at me? But then i'll go much slower and be more susceptible to weather changes.

Any simple solutions (apart from moving abroad) ?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    leg and arm warmers.

arm warmers + gillet + leg warmers + overshoes, can transform your summer kit...

Maybe long fingered mtb gloves this time of year
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    MTFU
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    T-shirt?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Ben6899 wrote:
    T-shirt?

With 'I Love a Gripshift' logo
  • pinno
    T-shirt: to suck up the sweat - underneath the base layer/cycling top.
    With an 'I love eccles cakes' logo
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872

Don't wear a 'T-shirt' -> wear a technical 'base layer'

Also +1 for Arm warmers, leg warmers, gilet and overshoes

You can even get two different types of arm and leg warmers -> the roubaix/thermal lined ones, and the plain lycra ones to give you even more versatility.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Always wear a condom children.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    At least you don't have to worry about what to wear in the summer, you already have the cold/wet weather clothing! :D

Cruel, but true.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    (£5 note and a message attached case I hit a patch of ice and end up in a ditch)

What does this note say? Sounds like a very morbid thing to do.

Rob
  • alihisgreat
    Ber Nard wrote:
    (£5 note and a message attached case I hit a patch of ice and end up in a ditch)

What does this note say? Sounds like a very morbid thing to do.

Rob

Not really.. its like using one of those RoadID bracelets, or having an 'ICE' contact in your mobile.

You've got to accepts that sometimes you'll get unlucky. (some people also have to carry something, if they are allergic to some drugs, a diabetic etc)
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Fair enough, I hadn't considered the allergy aspect. I suppose I don't want to think of the prospect of ending up in a ditch before I go out for a ride. I can accept I may suffer a mechanical or flat and allow for it, but I think you've got to draw the line asking "what if..?" somewhere or you'd never leave the house.

Rob
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791

Why would you wear a t-shirt under a base layer? The base layer is meant to be worn next to the skin, that's why it's called a BASE LAYER....

Jeez...

Sorry, rant over...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I've been wearing for the past month..

short sleeve merino baselayer
    long sleeve jersey
    Bibshorts
    Leg warmers
    Summer or winter gloves depending on what it's like out
    then thick or thin socks, again, depending on what it's like out.
    shoe covers if it's wet, but only with thin socks.

It's difficult this time of year IMO. i've been out a couple of times where i've actually had to take the leg warmers off mid-ride.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Long sleeved underlayer, short sleeved jersey, bib shorts... + Leggings if very early morning.

Simples.

PS: I'm currently getting over a cold. Hmm...
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    On Saturday when I went out with the club, it was drizzling so I used a L/S base, bib shorts, breeze wall jacket, Roubaix leg warmers and full finger gloves. As I warmed up I used the zip on the jacket...simples.

Oh yes, not forgeting the W/P overboots...
  • pinno
    Jeez - stop ranting.

I put this as a humorous thread, maybe a little morbid. Yes yes yes, arm/leg warmers okay okay. I got them too.
    So the note; what would you put on such a note?
    " I told you it was windy" or "Tell the girls daddies last words were 'Fu*k me! a bus'"
  • pinno
    The five pound note is for a taxi home...! probably not enough but I live in Scotland. I could be mugged for more and the missus can square the driver up for the rest. The message would be name and address - don't know why its a small community, everybody knows who I am.
  • alihisgreat
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Fair enough, I hadn't considered the allergy aspect. I suppose I don't want to think of the prospect of ending up in a ditch before I go out for a ride. I can accept I may suffer a mechanical or flat and allow for it, but I think you've got to draw the line asking "what if..?" somewhere or you'd never leave the house.

Rob

I haven't left the 'house' in years -> a turbo trainer in a padded cell is all i've got!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Summer: Shorts, T-Shirt, cycling top, Gillet in back pocket

Deep mid winter: Winter Tights, T-Shirt, Base Layer, Thermal Top, Windstopper, Bib shorts, Liner gloves, gloves, skull cap, wooly hat, socks, overshoes, Gillet in back pocket, (£5 note and a message attached case I hit a patch of ice and end up in a ditch) - and by the time I have got all that on i'm knackered. When I get off the bike, i'm too knackered to take it all off.

Spring (ha ha): Nope; winter tights were too warm, base layer or not?, thermal top and windstopper?, fingerless mitts or gloves?, skull cap or bandana, overshoes?. Why don't I just have a rucksack on my back which will contain anything I need for anything that is chucked at me? But then i'll go much slower and be more susceptible to weather changes.

Any simple solutions (apart from moving abroad) ?

Seems a bit much if you are only going for a Harvester, may I suggest jeans and a shirt ?