newbie buying a bike, is this an ok price

john39
john39 Posts: 4
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi folks, newish to this, i am about to buy a stumpjumper fsr expert evo 2011 in fabulous condition, for £2000, used only a few times , still like new. my question is, is this price ok, i found one advertised at £1350 a few months ago which was the wrong size for me anyway, but unbelievably cheap i thought. the seller will not move on price and this years have a carbon frame which i dont want and theyre £3800 anyway.
any feedback would be great. thanks

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    You can buy one new for just a little more. Seems expensive to me.
  • gaff_taff
    gaff_taff Posts: 346
    If your a newbie do you really want to spend £2000 on a bike you may never use?

or do you mean new to the forum ?

Welcome either way :D
  • john39
    hiya mate, thanks for the welcome, thats great, ive done a years worth of trail riding a few years ago and loved it, so will defo use it loads, just want to see what people think of the price, this is the bike i want, i have looked at the new bike above for £2300, this one is as new, ridden a handful of times, £300 cheaper. thanks
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    With a seond hand bike there is no frame (or other) warranty for the second owner. If I were to spend that much I'd want new . .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would no way buy it. As above you lose all warranty, which is worth more than the tiny bit you are going to save.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As you've made your mind up, presumably you're just looking for reassurance.
    If you know the seller, maybe, if that's what the ad says...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • john39
    i have made my mind up on the bike i would like yes, reassurance no, peoples opinion on the price is what im after, it is a friends bike yes so if i bought it he... as far as warranty goes could still be the first owner if i get an issue, but if not i take on board what supersonic and kenan are saying. thanks folks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You should expect to pay no more than about 75% of a new price for used, so if you can get it new for £2500, should look at paying less than £2K used, that covers your loss of warranty etc.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.