Avid Elixir problems

eugene1277
eugene1277 Posts: 29
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hi

Ive brought some Avid Elixir 5 brakes... Brand new, i installed the rear brake fine, aligned nicely.. Doesnt seem to be any problems...

However, the front one was installed, but the caliper leaked all over the place, the piston on one side had come loose and come away from the caliper.... So i re bled the brake as instructed in the manual and in accordance to video... All seemed to have gone well... However upon pressing the leaver in, the calliper started leaking again... It appears that the piston on one side seems to of come out again...!!

After the first leek, i ensured the piston was firmly placed back in, and in the right way... But it seems to have happened again...

Does this sound like a fault with brake caliper/piston itself or possibly something less trivial and easily fixed...

Like i say the brakes were brand new, the back brake is fine...

I dont really want to take my bike to a LBS and pay for someone to look it at when i could just send it back to Avid for a replacement if its damaged...

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The piston can't come out with pads and disc in the way, do you mean it's come out or its leaking?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry was not to clear on that... The one piston has stayed out and has not fully returned to its fully enclosed position... And it has leaked quite a lot of fluid...

I'm thinking maybe might be a dodgy seal for the piston maybe..
  • The Rookie
    Sounds like a seal problem, if the seal isn't in it's groove it will jam the piston, take/send it back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sounds like a seal problem, if the seal isn't in it's groove it will jam the piston, take/send it back.

Yeah that was my initial thought.. I'm going to get my mate to have a look at them, he's a bit more more knowledgeable than me... Failing that then it is looking like i may have to send them back.. :cry:
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    if they are brand new then send them back for replacement/refund.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, mess with them and render warranty invalid at your peril!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sanchez89 wrote:
    if they are brand new then send them back for replacement/refund.
    +1

Assuming there were fitted according to instructions, it's a failure, send them back and don't mess with them any further.
  • Thanks guys... I will ring Merlin Cycles tomorrow and arrange for them to be sent back asap... Don't want to tamper and risk voiding the warranty,,

Bit annoying really, but hopefully Avid will sort things out quickly.. :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's up to Merlin to sort you out, not Avid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Right, would Merlin not send it back to Avid to be repaired as it may be a defect from the manufacturing side of things... Either way hoping for a speedy replacement or repair.. :)

Thanks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They will send it back, but you shouldn't have to wait. In the UK the retailer is primarily responsible and the buyer should expect a replacement or refund from them, regardless of what the manufacturer/distributor does or says.

Usually they'd sort you out quick and then in their own time send things back to the manufacturer.