Left with dry cough

Thomson0
Thomson0 Posts: 49
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I have been building up the distance on my Sunday rides , two weeks ago I did 50 miles and I was left with a dry cough for a couple of days. Last week I did 44 miles and the same thing happened but I can't get rid of the cough this time is this a common side affect? Btw I don't seem to have a cold or any other symptoms.

Thomson0

Comments

• lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    Ive got the same can get rid of it either
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Same here. Sore throat on and off and slight cough every now and then. Viral probably. Often happens at this time of year.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    What you probably have is Exercise Induced Asthma. Get to your doctor and tell them you get this cough only through exercise and if they say 'stop exercising then' go to another doctor. If an inhaler releaves the condition then problem solved. Lots of info. on google about condition...EIA .
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    As above, asthma is probably what you have. Nothing serious and easily managed. Try your GP.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • joshr96
    joshr96 Posts: 153
    Pollen maybe? There's a lot of that going around in the air this time of year.
    Could be down to you breathing heavily, I know I feel uncomfortable after breathing heavily for prolonged periods of time.
    Nothing to worry about, try some Beecham's dry cough medicine when you get in after a ride. Stuff works wonders.
    Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
    Crossbow Hybrid
    Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..
  • Thomson0
    Thanks for all the info, it makes sense now about the EIA. I will try together an appointment with my GP.
  • Thomson0
    That was meant to say "to get an appointment" not together an appointment I am using my wife's iPad and the damn thing thinks it needs to correct my crap spelling :D
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    There is an edit function ;-)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It's a classic symptom of Exercised Induced Asthma, as a few above have suggested. It's something I have learned to expect and put up with in certain weather conditions (cold and dry).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • lastwords
    Went doctors this morning with mine have been given an inhaler so hopefully it will help
  • I suffer from same &!inhaler doesn't make a massive difference in the cold but have found that wearing something to cover mouth does, been told its to do with cold air entering airways at speed
    Bought a few cheap sets from aldi
  • tipped
    tipped Posts: 27
    lastwords wrote:
    Went doctors this morning with mine have been given an inhaler so hopefully it will help

there are many types of inhaler available, if this one doesn't absoloutly do the business I suggest you go back and try an alternative instead of just thinking 'knew I didn't have asthma anyway'. I put up with crap lungs and the wrong inhalers for far too many years before getting it sorted about 18 months ago.

the difference is incredible.

good luck :D
    Planet X SL Team 2011 (SRAM Red, Krysium Elite)
  • lastwords
    ok thanks for that advise have to go back in two months to let the doctor know if the unhaler works.

As yet i have now got a cold so havnt been out yet.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    edited April 2012
    lastwords wrote:
    ok thanks for that advise have to go back in two months to let the doctor know if the unhaler works.

Two months is an extraordinary amount of time for your Doctor Having A Laugh :lol: to find out if an inhaler works if you cycle regularly. If you find that it does not have any effect then go back immediately. But I hope it's ok for you.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • lastwords
    Ok cheers