Am i doing it right?

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hello there i have just started on a road bike quite recently and have just bought a Trek Madone 4.7 2009. I have been doing the odd 5 mile circuit with a 10 in there at times. I have just also recently done my first 21mile ride which wasnt that bad 16mph average and took 1hr 18mins i think. As i am new to this before i go out about 1 hr or so before i have some wholemeal pasta and tuna. When out on the bike i either use a gel or put an additive in my water bottle. When i return i have some whey protien within 20 mins or so of getting in. Then i have the protien again the morning after. I usualy try to ride 1 day on 1 day off but i am not really strict around this. My questions are am i fueling myself ok or is there a better way to do it.

I could never understand how people wanted to get out on their bike all the time but i am getting that way now. I have just bought a old vintage Raleigh to use when wet etc to keep my good one clean.

I also fogot to add i am currently trying to lose weight (started at 15s10lbs now 14s dead) i think i want to stabilize around 13.5 so dont realy want to put any weight on.

Thanks in advance for any replies as i am keen to get it right.
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Everybody's different. That would be too much for me but if it works for you, then fine.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,161
    unless you are going hard for >1hr there's no need to take on extra while riding, water is enough

if you want to drop weight, then output > input, which depends on total work and feeding, not just bike related

imho just get plenty of fresh veg and lean protein, with complex carbs rather than energy gels/drinks, it'll be cheaper, better for you, and taste nicer too :-)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Gells are really for when your about to 'bonk' at the end of a 6 hour ride, extra energy for a big hill etc... If you NEED them on a sort (Less than 2 hour/ 30mile) ride then your not eating the correct things. There should be no need for whey protine after - if anything that will be counter productive to loosing weight. At this stage I would just consentrate on having a normal (read make heathy with veg etc normal...) dinner, and some breakfast, but not too much and go out and do it. A good rule is 1 bottle of water every 10 miles, and yo shouldnt need any electrolite for below a 30 mile ride.

Once you can go out and do 25-30 miles without any worry/special food, and you are getting towards the weight you want to be at then you will have a good level of 'base condtioning' and then it will be a good time to think about specific training/foods to build the type of strength you need for the riding you like/do most.

I wouldnt over-think this too much, or over prepair. Before too long you will think nothing of a 10 mile ride - Would you use energy gells etc for 30 min game of squash/football?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    RPD Steve wrote:
    . There should be no need for whey protine after - if anything that will be counter productive to loosing weight.
    Please explain.
    Once you can go out and do 25-30 miles without any worry/special food, and you are getting towards the weight you want to be at then you will have a good level of 'base condtioning' and then it will be a good time to think about specific training/foods to build the type of strength you need for the riding you like/do most.
    Cardiovascular fitness matters more than direct strength
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Reading this, sometimes I think cycling is about as bad as it gets for trying to lose weight.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    JGSI wrote:
    Reading this, sometimes I think cycling is about as bad as it gets for trying to lose weight.
    It depends what end of the scale you are. Certainly larger peeps benefit from cycling as it lacks the foot striking of running/jogging but there is a point where harder/better/faster/stronger (LOL DAFT PUNK) applies to any sport plateau.
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    mosa wrote:
    before i go out about 1 hr or so before i have some wholemeal pasta and tuna. When out on the bike i either use a gel or put an additive in my water bottle. When i return i have some whey protien within 20 mins or so of getting in. Then i have the protien again the morning after.

Blimey, well you certainly wont bonk!

As said, you're overdoing it on the eating side of things. Just eating a normal healthy diet will mean you have enough reserves for 2 or 3 hours on the bike at a steadyish pace - maybe just take a bit of flapjack or a banana if going for more than 2 hours. I'd only use energy drink over 60 miles, otherwise water is fine. Again, when you get home, from a 20 miler, which will probably be about 600 calories or so, I wouldn't bother eating extra if trying to lose weight, but depends on the rest of the diet.

Don't believe all the marketing and stuff you read in cycling weekly :)
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    mosa wrote:
    Hello there i have just started on a road bike quite recently and have just bought a Trek Madone 4.7 2009. I have been doing the odd 5 mile circuit with a 10 in there at times. I have just also recently done my first 21mile ride which wasnt that bad 16mph average and took 1hr 18mins i think. As i am new to this before i go out about 1 hr or so before i have some wholemeal pasta and tuna. When out on the bike i either use a gel or put an additive in my water bottle. When i return i have some whey protien within 20 mins or so of getting in. Then i have the protien again the morning after. I usualy try to ride 1 day on 1 day off but i am not really strict around this. My questions are am i fueling myself ok or is there a better way to do it.

I could never understand how people wanted to get out on their bike all the time but i am getting that way now. I have just bought a old vintage Raleigh to use when wet etc to keep my good one clean.

I also fogot to add i am currently trying to lose weight (started at 15s10lbs now 14s dead) i think i want to stabilize around 13.5 so dont realy want to put any weight on.

Thanks in advance for any replies as i am keen to get it right.

As already said you're perhaps overdoing it a little with how much you're eating. For a ride around the hour mark you shouldn't need to eat an additional carb & protein rich meal, your usual 3 meals a day plus a few healthy snacks between is ample nutrition. Similarly, energy drinks are probably surplus calories for that sort of distance so just have water (perhaps with electrolyte tabs added if you wish). I certainly wouldn't be having an additional protein shake in the morning but one after a ride will help with recovery. Go for the pure protein type rather than the recovery shakes because you don't want all the additional carbohydrates that recovery shakes provide. If you feel unduly fatigued then you're not eating enough but as you're riding for weight loss purposes all the additional calories of supplements designed to maximise your performance will come at a detriment to the speed at which you lose weight. You don't say how long you've been trying to drop the pounds but you've lost 1st 10lbs (congrats!) already so you're obviously burning more calories than you're consuming so you're definitely well on the right track! Just remember to listen to your body.

Obviously the rest of your diet outside of the cycling has a huge impact too and without the full picture it's hard to be more precise!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Like everyone else has said, you're eating far too much for me. On a ride of less than 2 hrs with no big lumps I'd take just water. If I'm doing a 50+ I'll take a gel and maybe a banana adding additional gels the greater the distance or the terrain gets. It also depends on whether I'm doing a fasted ride or have eaten prior to going out. You take a gel before you're at the point of bonking, that's the idea of them. Whey protein when mixed with water gets into the system quicker than eaten protein to start repairing and building stretched muscles. A lot of top trainers recommend getting some form of recovery drink down your neck within 20 mins of a good physical ride and to eat something within the hour.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Agree with all, under 2 hours just water or water/juice 50/50, Weetabix for brekkie whatever. No need for anything extra because at the end of the day you're trying to lose weight by pushing yourself. If you stock up and ride effortlessly then where's the gain?

Cycle like a looney for 6 months and see how far and fast you can go then once done, evaluate and put a gameplan together to go to the next level. Just enjoy yourself.
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    sagalout wrote:
    As said, you're overdoing it on the eating side of things. Just eating a normal healthy diet will mean you have enough reserves for 2 or 3 hours on the bike at a steadyish pace

+1
    Went out for a short ride yesterday, but was feeling really good (once the hangover wore off!) so it ended up begin a lumpy 50 miler. Hadn't intended on being out so long, so didn't have any food with me, but was just coming to the end of my reserves in the last couple of miles, a touch under 3 hours into the ride. You really shouldn't 'need' any fuel if you're out for less than 2 hours, especially as you're trying to lose weight.

I've found that's a great thing about cycling - if you have a resonably healthy diet, you don't really need to cut down on how much you eat. A few hours cycling a week and the weight just disappears.
  • mosa
    mosa Posts: 754
    Thanks for the replies. I have been listening to different people who all give me different advice that's why I asked on here. I was concerned with my diet (for riding) as I only have porridge for breakfast a wholemeal sandwich and fruit for lunch then a weight watchers meal with loads of veg for tea. This has been my diet for the last 2 months and I feel fine in myself in fact I've never felt so good in years. I am keen to get out on bike more and more. I did 22 mikes or do on Friday 18 on Sunday and 15 today. I plan to do at least 5-10 miles every night this week. I seen to get out of breath quite soon into the ride and the bloody wind is always in my face ha ha. I could never understand how someone could go out for even 20 miles and never thought I would so I am pleased I am getting there. I just want to do it right it just seems at the moment that it isn't getting any easier. Cheers gents please keep the help coming
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    As others have said you sound like you have been overfueling for the rides, porridge is an excellent breakfast a and i have it with dried fruit before club runs .
    For a ride of less than 20-30 miles i would only take water , for a 60 + club run i generally have a porrdge breakfast and take an energy drink .Coffee + flapjack stop about halfway sees me through for energy to get home and i carry a gel/energy bar just in case.
    Started bonking on Sunday about 5 miles from home but a lot of the group decided to chaingang it so i was getting to the end of my reserves but i decided to grin and bear it .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    When I started cycling I absolutely hated it. It was too hard work, my legs were sore and was never fast enough. Now I can't do without it and have become a proper Saddle W@nker (it sneaks up on you - one minute your saddles too sore, the next every other seat makes your bum feel 'funny' and you've blind bought a £200 bit of kit, and you don't really know what it is only that it's for your cycling).

If things aren't getting any easier, I would be more concerned with being comfortable, and feeling capable than doing things 'right'. Perhaps consider not pounding the miles out and doing some more targeted training (on cadence or speed work - particuarly if you've not got the time of an evening to do your 10 miles or so). There's nothing worse than hating the bike. I use the protein shakes, and take extra out on a ride. I find it very difficult to eat after and feel worse for it into the next day so they help with that. Folk tend to forget you need energy to burn energy, so if you're still loosing weight with what you're eating keep at it. When you platau that's the time to look at what you're doing.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Sounds like you've got the right idea (except for over-fuelling!) when it comes to weight loss - shortish rides several times a week will do you more good than one long run. The fitness/endurance will come quite quickly.

I would suggest perhaps one longer run on the weekend, and gradually upping your mileage each time - try adding 5 miles a week. You'll probably be surprised just how far you can manage! This way, you will also find the point at which you actually need to start taking some food/energy drink with you, the dreaded 'bonk'. Pretty easy to tell when it happens, feels like your legs have turned to lead jelly and even a gentle incline feels like the tourmalet!

Good luck with it all :)