Partick to Callander - Route 7

ohara227
ohara227 Posts: 225
edited April 2012 in Tour & expedition
All in all a great trip, the route we decided to go was via Balloch and Drymen just to keep off main roads as much as possible on a bank holiday weekend. Set off with my cousin with the intention of cycling to Callander and staying a night there, then cycle to Crianlarich and get the train back to Glasgow.

Note the word intention in the last part though!

We left early doors and enjoyed the cycle to Drymen to catch a quick bite to eat, from there we kept on the route. If im honest there was a few hills along the way, and other than using it for the gym its the first time I have used a pannier for any length of trip. There is at one point a 10% incline, im sure its when you leave the old railway (you pass a mock signal) and head into Aberfoyle and through the forest (Dukes Pass, I believe) which takes you up a big hill! But the down hill sections are way better, reaching 37mph at one point! The route is well marked though and you pass 'Go Ape' eventually.

We took the route that went by Loch Drunkie, which is where it went wrong for me! After some awesome downhill sections I noticed a bit of a wheel wobble, looked down and noticed a rear flat. No fuss we popped the wheel off etc and found the hole and most importally thorn in the tyre. Patched it and again, as the gluesless patches are crap! (even after rubbing with sandpaper etc) Checked tube again and to cut a long story short, found another 6 holes around 3 of which pinch punctures. I admit I forgot a spare inner tube so my cousin gave me his which was a 700x25 however I was running 28's but it was better than nothing or running a tube with 7 patches on it. Slow but sure we set off again after a wrestle with the tyre. Taking it slow to the south side of Loch Venachar and around 8 miles to go, I got another 2 rear punctures, probably to do with the smaller tube, terrain and the pannier. Took the hit and tried to patch them again, but didn’t really work. At this point I was staring at the dry grass around the place, thinking of stuffing my tyre but we pushed on (anyone ever done that?). The last 8 miles where a bit bumpy as I just rode the rim, which wasnt too bad as it was level along the loch and the terrain got better to Callander.

I do recommend this route and intend to do it again, as part of a bigger trip. My cousin used a backpack as he was on his road bike and found his shoulders starting to hurt, I used my hybrid with a pannier running 700x28 Conti Contact Plus. I will be changing these to Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres I think, to take the panniers and the terrain a bit better. Left with a buggered rim knackered tyre, my Dad came and got us thankfully!

As I say its not put me off, just taught us a few things and you need to experience things to learn! :D
'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2

Comments

• thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Wow, that's a lot of punctures in one day. Glad it didn't put you off.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • ohara227
    Hehe it was that! Wheel seems to be ok after a rub down with sandpaper and emery paper thankfully!

Rides:

Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I've got 700 x 28 Continental Contacts on my tourer and they do seem to puncture easily. Like you, I'm going to swap to something more resistant.

Nice story though.
  • dazza3512
    dazza3512 Posts: 58
    go for the shwalbe marathon plus,been using them for years,never had a puncture,touch wood,
    He travels fastest who travels alone
  • ohara227
    Cheers I think ill be getting them on ASAP!

Rides:

Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Prepare for blood... or at least fine the Spa Cycles video on YouTube of how to fit them!
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • ohara227
    Yeah I like the idea of the bands to hold it on a bit!

Rides:

Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2