Bum bags

Twostage
Twostage Posts: 987
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I've been using a dayglo backpack during winter (helps to keep warm) for carrying essentials. Last summer I switched to panniers. I'm contemplating a biggish bumbag instead of the racks. I've looked at a 5ltr trespass and it's borderline size wise so maybe a 7ltr ?
Anyone use bumbags for commuting ?

Comments

• Shem
    Shem Posts: 24
    I use one during the summer, only a smallish one though.

I keep a few work shirts in the office and put my work on USB rather than take a laptop. I pretty much only use it for carrying cash/cards, phone, USB drive, keys and other odds and ends. It also has many pockets so I keep a small bike tool in one.

Just like this one:
    thumbnail.aspx?q=4744672369639571&id=0157e1c28d9c5e13e7d2bec5371bcb6d

It's small enough not to cause problems but large enough for all my bits. I also don't end up with a wet back from carrying a bag and sweating.
    GMT +8
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    May be get some sandals with long grey socks as well. :twisted:

Don't let the door hit you on you way over to C/General
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've used the Innov8 Race 4 which is really really good. Don't understand the dislike of bum/belt bags - perfect filler between rucksack and jersey pockets. Plenty of room for tools, tubes, Featherlite jacket, shirt, underwear, mobiles - but waterproof too - and I'm totally unaware of wearing it - not at all sweaty. The Race 4 is also not too socks and sandals either.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ortlieb large 5 ltr saddle bag.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    <snip> Don't understand the dislike of bum/belt bags - perfect filler between rucksack and jersey pockets. Plenty of room for tools, tubes, Featherlite jacket, shirt, underwear, mobiles - but waterproof too - and I'm totally unaware of wearing it - not at all sweaty. <snip>

agree, no doubt slagged by peple that don't use 'em.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I use an EVOC waist bag, thanks all for the fashion advice on the socks and sandles i'll try that one later, it's a 2 litre one and is big enough to carry my food (we are talking complete curry and rice-no poppadoms though!) and diabetic kit etc, comfortable no sweaty back but I wouldn't want to carry a 5 litre one, I think that would be uncomfortably large.

I think at that size you need a handlebar bag (bit touring) or a humungous saddle bag, or maybe one of these:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtre ... aid:116208
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Twostage
    team47b wrote:
    I use an EVOC waist bag, thanks all for the fashion advice on the socks and sandles i'll try that one later, it's a 2 litre one and is big enough to carry my food (we are talking complete curry and rice-no poppadoms though!) and diabetic kit etc, comfortable no sweaty back but I wouldn't want to carry a 5 litre one, I think that would be uncomfortably large.

I think at that size you need a handlebar bag (bit touring) or a humungous saddle bag, or maybe one of these:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtre ... aid:116208
    I was thinking I'd need a 5 ltr one to hold my lunch and other items such as a few socks and pants and other stuff that seems to become essential. The one I looked at seemed to be borderline, maybe they expand more than I expect.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Nope looked all over Rapha and Castelli websites and couldn't find anything fitting those descriptions :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I understand why they're called bum bags when mounted to the rear. But, when people walk around with them in front shouldn't they be called scrotums?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    In America they are called 'Fanny Packs'...
  • Twostage
    apreading wrote:
    Yes, I resisted putting that in the thread title in case it sounded like some kind of weird anatomical fight.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    apreading wrote:
    Which is daft as a fanny isn't a bag. A scrote quite clearly is.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    apreading wrote:
    Back in '79, arrived at Orlando for a youth exchange.
    While in the car with hosts the 4 year old son was a bit excitied at having a foreign guest so mother told him to
    "Sit on your fanny and behave".
    That kind of confused me as I thought it was inappropriate language and incorrect human anatomy. :?
    That was when I came to the understanding that the same words can have different meanings when travelling.

It was also on that trip when I discovered the most offensive thing that you can say to an American.

A simple "Shut up" will send them ballistic! :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    daviesee wrote:
    [...]

It was also on that trip when I discovered the most offensive thing that you can say to an American.

Asking "can I bum a fag off you?" will also garner you some queer looks.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    daviesee wrote:

Because of the Constitution or some other bollocks, the average Seppo thinks they can say what they like and shoot anyone who looks at them funny.

So the temerity you have to display to tell one of our Transatlantic friends to 'shut up' is quite something.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I used to use a bum bag to store a big ass chain when I cycled in London in my late teens. I've since matured and seen the error of my childish ways.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Say "can I come in your house" in a sarf London accent to an American girl and much hilarity ensues :-D

I use a small ( 1L? ) black waterproof bumbag for bits when riding. Big enough for wallet, phone, keys, tools etc. Ideal and also excellent when flying as you just unclip it at security so none of that tipping out of pockets malarky.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I've got a really big bum bag. That is to say a bag of large volume, which I wear around my waist, rather than a bag to cover my more than ample rear, however now that you mention it........

I can fit a lock, spare tube, tools, snack, windproof, phone, wallet, keys, etc. in with ease. It is useful when I need to move about upon reaching my destination e.g. trips to pub, or to the park with the kids. Much better that a sweaty back from a rucksack. More often than not I'll bungee it to the rack rather than wear in the traditional way. For commuting and carrying more stuff I'll take panniers every time.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Twostage
    Had another look at the 5 litre one and I think it is going to be big enough for lunch and stuff. Just need to choose one now.