Best turbo training for hills

daysofspeed
daysofspeed Posts: 105
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
3 weeks to an assault on the Ventoux.

Struggle to get out so borrowed a turbo for the last few weeks. I'll dive on and peddle away but any particular session people recommend for hills?

Cheers.

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If you raise the front wheel, you can engage the same muscles and position you will be using to climb -> you can work out the gradient and set it to equal 10% or whatever.

apart from that I've got no advice! Its probably more useful to go and do some Hill repeats on a real hill?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    apart from that I've got no advice! Its probably more useful to go and do some Hill repeats on a real hill?

Not really, the longest hill repeat you're likely to see in most of the UK is maybe 20 minutes, and could be as low as 5 if you live in some areas. which is quite a different sort of fitness to a 60minute plus climb up ventoux. Muscles would not really be relevant unless you have totally the wrong gearing. Any threshold workouts will work better.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    more like 2 hours for most riders.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    High gear, low cadence . . . .

Suffer for an hour with your heart rate over 80%, preferably 85%.

Fall off bike into a sweaty puddle

Job done
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Download Sufferfest, either Angels (my fave) or Hunted. You may need to use a LAN cable rather than wireless as the files are quite big but they are great value and make turbo time fly by. The tunes are a bit bland so I just fire up itunes on my laptop instead. Work out your gear setting for sufferfest level 7 (TT level or sustainable suffering for about 20 mins before you collapse) and then go up/down from there when it tells you (as in 3 shifts down is warm up level 4). I can tweak my turbo so that the resistance makes the gearing line up (cog 7 = S7, if you see what I mean). If you set it right you should only be able to push S10 at flat out for about 10 seconds.

I try and do one Sufferfest a week and find it really helps with helping one deal with suffering as well as improving overall fitness. Loads more tips on Nap's turbo thread.
  • daysofspeed
    daysofspeed Posts: 105
    Cheers Bobbinogs and all. Will take to the turbo with haste!