First ride

Technik
Technik Posts: 35
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi everyone

I'm completely new to road bikes but not new to cycling. I've had a bike since I can remember but since I had my last mtb stolen I haven't been out for over 2 years. Recently decided to get back on it and bought a Battaglin road bike with road shoes. So now, my first ride - clipping on to the bike is something new to me so two falls later and I think I'm getting use to it :lol: The only downside is that you can't walk properly off the bike but I couldn't get the mtb shoes/cleats as I have a problem with one of my feet and need to have a wider platform. The bike feels completely different than any mtb I ever rode, less stable maybe, but I do like it. I only went for a short 6 mile ride but had to stop every mile or so which means that I'm seriously out of shape and my leg muscles aren't as good as they use to be.
Will try and do short rides every day after work and longer ones (around 10-15m) on weekends and see how fast will I need to recover.
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Simmotino
    Simmotino Posts: 295
    Technik wrote:
    Any advice appreciated.

The legs will come with time and the more you ride, the easier it will get.

For unclipping, try and anticipate when you'll need to unclip for lights, junctions etc, and twist out the foot you intend to put down, but don't move it too far from the pedal. That way if you find you don't actually need to stop, you can just press it back in and carry on or, if you do, you'll already be unclipped and ready to go. Don't worry though, you aren't the first, and you sure as billy-o won't be the last! :lol:

First and foremost, enjoy it! :D
  • Technik
    Thanks for that. I've got a couple nice 7 mile hilly tracks around my place so will try and get good at these and then move onto the longer ones. Or should I mix, eg. 7 miles on weekdays and say 20 miles on weekends? I'm not sure if I can do any more than 10 miles straight as my legs are still very weak and I still have a sore bum from the new saddle.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Hi Technik,

Don't ride every day to start with as recovery days are important whatever your level of fitness. The first time you do your 20 miler think about perhaps just doing 10 miles then stopping for a 'cake break' for 30 mins before cycling back. But time on the bike will improve your fitness fast and you'll soon find yourself upping the distances.

Enjoy!

Regards, EarlyGo
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    I was you about 6 months ago.

New bike, first ride was about 7 miles @ 14mph. Fun but had to have a couple of stops.

Since then with gym 1/2/3 times a week and 1/2 rides at the weekend, most weeks, I have now done a 50 miler @ 16mph and looking to do 100k in a week or 2.

Just get the miles in. Strava is worth downloading so you can actually see your improvements. You don't necessarily feel it to start with, but getting home a few mins earlier is proof of improvement!

Enjoy.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    just build it up slowly and you'll be fine.
  • Technik
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I did my short route twice today with a 1 hour break in between and the second time I was 10 minutes faster :shock: My bum isn't so sore anymore so all looking good.

What is Strava that charlie is posting about?
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Technik wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I did my short route twice today with a 1 hour break in between and the second time I was 10 minutes faster :shock: My bum isn't so sore anymore so all looking good.

What is Strava that charlie is posting about?

Strava uses gps data either from a smartphone or gps device to plot your times and then compares how you perform with other riders who've ridden the same section of roads as you. If you have an iPhone the app is free and it's great if you have a competitive streak or are just a little curious to see how you stack up against others :)
  • Technik
    Oh, ok. May give it a go one day. Thanks for that.