SPD advice needed for beginner

rugnugdo
rugnugdo Posts: 68
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Never ever used SPDs but have been biking a lot more and been advised too... went to local bike shop last week and got a little advice but would just like a little bit more...

What are the best/easiest pedals to get used to and out of? what are the best options when it comes to shoes, I want cheap initially in case I don't get on with them... I understand the pros of buying good ones but can always buy some expensive flashy ones later... anyone know anywhere selling budget or cheap MTB shoes? sz9? same goes for any pedals?

Cheers

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Pedals - I would go for Shimano M520. They are the pedal used by 50% of SPD riders. Cheap and effective. Can be found online for less than £20. As for shoes, you can find Aldi and Lidl ones for sub £20 that arent too bad. I bet decathlon will do some ok cheap ones too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have M520's as does my lad, however I have some (no longer available in that exact spec) Ritchey's and while they lock in just as well as Shimano, the realease loads are a lot lighter, I use those on the MTB as they are easier for 'bale outs' the 520's are on my commuter.

Shoes wise, CRC often have some in their clearance, Aldi and Lidl are OK, but not avialable right now.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Offe ... rtBy=Price hover over the more deatils box to see available sizes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I have always used Shimano XT Pedals having read everywhere how they are so much better than other clip-in pedals. However, my bike is being serviced at the moment so I hired one at Bedgebury and took along an un-used pair of Crank Bros Candy pedals to have fitted to the hire bike. I have to say that I prefer them to the XT ones, easier to clip in, more secure and less free movement while pedaling....for me. If you know anyone with clip-ins see if you can have a go as they are all quite different and as I have found, quite individual to personal preference. The Candys will be going on my Yeti when it is back!
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    rugnugdo wrote:
    Never ever used SPDs but have been biking a lot more and been advised too...

Dont buy SPDs just because someone advises you. Its something you really need to want to do, too many people try them fall off and get spooked and go back to flats and make stupid remarks on SPD v Flats threads. Try ebay and the classified on here for cheap only used once pedals and shoes. Then if its not for you they can go back on ebay for someone else to try.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap