Buy Bibs for height or waist?

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Looking at getting some DHB bibs -> which i don't have the chance to try before buying.

was wondering whether people tend to go for height or waist sizes?

I've got some large Endura FS-260 pro bibs which feel nice -> and i bought that size mainly for my height 183cm (and the shop didn't have a medium to try) -> they feel like they could almost be tighter across the pad to make the pad sit better? but I'm not sure if its a saddle width issue that's pushing the pad up.

Obviously a M would be tighter.. but then i'd be worried about height because I've worn large Giordana and that's been tight up into the crotch when off the bike with not enough room in the shoulder straps (just about ok on the bike though).

Edit: why didn't i put this in road buying?

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    It's best to buy for height - the material will flex across the waist to give some leeway but height has to be more exact.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I found I had to fit them to the torso alone (I'm long-legged, short-bodied). Easiest to order two sizes, and send one back. I usually end up ordering twice if I don't.

I'm sure I saw some being sized by weight somewhere. Like potato sacks.
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    As above, size by height unless you're at the extreme ends of fat/slim. If you look at Assos they only give sizings based on height. I'm also like Wheezee, long legged/short torso. I tend to buy medium tops, but large shorts/trousers. Also when fitting Bibs I find slightly loose legs and tight straps work out perfect when you're on the bike.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    edited October 2017
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Medium DHB shorts should be ok for height unless you have short legs and a long torso.