SRAMpagnolo

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I've just snapped up a couple of SRAM rival bargains and as such i'm now planning on replacing the rather old mix of Campagnolo groupo with SRAM rival, problem is my new groupset is missing a RH shifter so I thought if Shimagnolo works why not SRAMpagnolo?

All SRAM apart from the shifters, 10 speed ergo Campagnolo, alas the double crankset will be replaced by a compact but I think its worth the experiment.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,318
    69da3d1343a09c848f52bfa7ec331374_w640.jpeg

Don't cross the streams!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    You mean: http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/ ... -not_73404 ?

Is Shimagnolo another word for Shimergo ? Shimergo usually means using 10sp Campy shifters with 8-speed shimano mech + cassette, cos 8sp shimano & 10 sp Campy have same pull per click. Which is probably not what you want.

Zinn says 10-speed SRAM has nearly same pull-per-click as Campy 10sp, so should work, but I don't think I've heard of anyone else trying that.
  • itboffin
    Yep 10 speed campag and SRAM 10s should be an interesting combo, I just hope the SRAM road kit is better than the MTB crap.

I very successfully ran ShimaNO/Campag mix of 10/9 on the CX until I snaffled a bargain on some 7800 series Dura Ace groupset.

Also looking for some reasonably priced Chrous or Centaur ergo UT shifters - seems to be rare as rocking-horse-shite
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    It's not like you to let a silly thing like price get in the way ITB?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    It's not like you to let a silly thing like price get in the way ITB?

this is very true but i also have a low boredom threshold and this tickled my fancy :wink:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Must admit that I thought that the pull ratios were different between SRAM and Shimano - 2:1 vs 1:1. So, SRAM STI and Shimano mechs were a no no.

In other news, I have an old RH SRAM Rival STI you can have in exchange for a 1" threaded headset! In fact I have the pair!
  • itboffin
    I can confirm the Campag/SRAM union works perfectly very nice 8)

@gtv I found the headset yesterday it's sitting on the kitchen table ready to be shipped tomorrow.

Ta
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    I can confirm the Campag/SRAM union works perfectly very nice 8)

@gtv I found the headset yesterday it's sitting on the kitchen table ready to be shipped tomorrow.

Ta

Update: It's still working perfectly in fact without a missed shift, I now am not planning on changing this setup.
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Must admit that I thought that the pull ratios were different between SRAM and Shimano - 2:1 vs 1:1. So, SRAM STI and Shimano mechs were a no no.

In other news, I have an old RH SRAM Rival STI you can have in exchange for a 1" threaded headset! In fact I have the pair!

Urrm you open to offers on the RIVAL shifters?
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • itboffin
    iclestu wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Could very well be
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    itboffin wrote:
    iclestu wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Could very well be
    they in ok nick? 10sp?

U got figure in mind?

Seen 1000's of your posts, ITB. Trust u to give fair price! Pm me.
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    iclestu wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    iclestu wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Could very well be
    they in ok nick? 10sp?

U got figure in mind?

Seen 1000's of your posts, ITB. Trust u to give fair price! Pm me.
    Offer him beer. You'll probably get a better deal and it'll save him a trip to the off licence.

Yeah, beer or Veet for ITB transactions.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • itboffin
    Pretending to be young but suggesting your ignorance of the imperial (the official) system of measurement is fooling no one ...old man
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    itboffin wrote:
    It's still working perfectly in fact without a missed shift, I now am not planning on changing this setup.
    Thankyou for the update.

That's quite cool. I guess you're on the short cage road mech.

Anyone have any idea what the takeup of an SRAM Wifli (long cage) is ? SRAM don't seem to want to say. And can Wifli take a 34 ? With a 22t range at the front ?

On 10sp, I'd like something like 13-26 in flatland, or 12-34 on the hills / off-road.
  • itboffin
    Actually i'm using a long gage rear mech but currently only running an 11-26 cassette, I figured I might what to lug this steel beast around a couple of mountains at some point.

I should also add that I upgraded to crankset from Apex to Rival at the weekend and I can defo tell the difference, its feels stiffer almost like there's more power going through, I should also point out (boast) that i've just returned from a week in the Pyrenees and everything is now faster / more powerful, PB flying all over the place 8)

Loving the benefits of altitude training or something :roll: