Aches and pains

burtie
burtie Posts: 154
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
My left knee hurts around the top and down the left side after 30 miles or so and hurts for a while after a ride. My left quad hurts too just above the knee and also my hamstring hurts too.

While sat on my saddle it feels like I'm putting pressure in my ass and it's running down my hamstring the only relief i can get is if i sit foward in a tri postion with my hands over the bars.

I'm 6ft tall with 33 inside leg, I had a trek 1.1 58cm frame and it felt awful and I felt to bunched up riding it to which I bought a trek 2.3 60cm frame which felt better now I'm thinking both where to big :(

Now do I book a bike fit to be told I need a smaller frame or do I just buy a smaller frame because i can't afford both?
This is getting me down as I love cycling and it's the only sport I have stuck at.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Best bet would see a cycling physio (to see how your muscles are aligned - my right leg is stronger than the left, which has caused me ITB issues in my left).
    Usually if you go to a bike fit and tell you you need a smaller frame, they will usually stop immediately, and only charge a nominal mount, unless you decide you buy your new frame through the same shop, they might sell you the frame/bike fit at a discount!

I would call them up, as I would only assume a good cycle shop would only want the best for you, at a price point you are most comfortable with
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    6 foot and felt bunched up on a 58?
    Guaranteed it just wasnt set up right for you..
  • burtie
    I think the best thing to do is sell what I have and start again, a trip to Planet x buy a bike and get a fitting.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends how much cash you lose selling. I would say selling and starting again could be a waste. Do you have photos? What about higher handlebars? Longer stem?
  • burtie wrote:
    I think the best thing to do is sell what I have and start again, a trip to Planet x buy a bike and get a fitting.

Seems OTT solution unless you have money to burn and fancy a new bike anway. Get a proper fit done with the bike you have -
    JGSI wrote:
    6 foot and felt bunched up on a 58?Guaranteed it just wasnt set up right for you..

Worst case scenario - if you do find the frame isn't right (I very much doubt that though - sounds a lot like a leg length discrepancy to me) you will know sizes and set up for the future.
  • burtie
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12841737 this is the bike in question, now I have just changed the stem to 100mm from 110mm thinking this might be the problem (yes I have no idea what I'm doing) yeah I stand at this point to lose a fair bit of cash selling and buying but I need to ride.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I'm your size. I had a Trek 58cm - too small. I now ride a 60cm which is excellent. I had a bike fit which I can strongly recommend. PM me for details if you like.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I had a Trek 1.5 - 56cm and I am 5'11", and it fitted me perfectly. 60cm seems, to me, to be a big bike for someone of your height. But having said that - it is a matter of preference, and what seems right to one person will not feel right to another!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • burtie wrote:
    yeah I stand at this point to lose a fair bit of cash selling and buying but I need to ride.

Check 2nd hand prices but I find it hard to believe you will not lose more money selling than it would cost for a bike fit - plus - good bike fit will be worth it no matter what you do.

I don't claim to be a bike fitter but how could an overly large frame cause one leg to be sore - as I said it sounds like a leg length discrepancy and so saddle/cleat adjustment could well solve it.

Try lowering your saddle by 1 cm and/or moving your cleat towards the inside of your left shoe to let your left foot sit a little further out (bigger Q) - good guidance here

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

If it is leg length discrepancy then you may need a shim to balance them - don't think you can DIY that one though.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The question you need to ask yourself is simple... if you want to save yourself £s by NOT having a bike fit.
    In the most normal riding position you can muster (best done on a turbo with a mirror) do you feel too 'stretched out?
    Your backside ought to be fully supporting by the saddle to allow you to relax with soft elbows and shoulders that are not hunched and a feeling that you can push your tailbone back, keeping the spine relaxed.
    If you cannot get comfortable, then yes the bike may have to be adapted.
    Shorter stem
    Seat post with zero setback.. just a few things you can tinker with
    The pic is somehow conveying to me that maybe you have a bike too big for you.. the slight giveaway is drop between seat and stem,it is quite small.
    compact bars... again nothing majorly complicated.

However, as you have admitted to not knowing anything and tapping about in the dark, then perhaps bite the bullet and go to a bike fitter with a good rep.
  • burtie
    Well many thanks for all the replys I've had a little mess around with my position the last few weeks and its better but the ache is still there, the best bet then would be a bike fit I've found a local guy who will do it for £85 so I'll book in with him, cheers chaps
  • Sure you won't regret it and let us know how you get on please (for what it's worth in the pic it looks like your saddle is angled nose down quite a bit - have you tried setting it horizontal?).
  • burtie
    Well I gave up on the 60cm bike and moved back to a 58cm bike glad I did as the bike fitter I went to see said it would of been to big for me. I had a good 3 hour bike fit with a local chap and we made some massive changes. The saddle height went up at least and 1" or more and the front end changed loads new stem and bars.

I could not ride in the drops for more then 10 minutes before, now I'm always in them. As for my aches and pains I still have problems with my knee but It's not getting any worse and it's a lot better.

I think at the end of the day my recovery is very very poor and I need to workout within my limits and try not to be lance Armstrong every ride.

Well I've managed last weekend to do a 47 mile ride with 1600ft of climbing which is a lot for me and feel like I'm getting there. I'm still getting the odd pain here and there but with loads of stretching and foam rolling I'm getting slowly back to form managed 150 miles last week and got burnt to fuck lol

thanks everyone for the advice.