Gear shifting

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I have recently had my Campagnolo Veloce gear set replaced with a Record 10 speed set up by my lbs.

On a recent ride I have noticed that the front derailleur is struggling to change from small front cog to large front cog after a hill climb. I have to really ratchet the lever over very hard, several times, and the shift seems to take quite along time to happen, (if at all) I don't recall this happening on the old Veloce front derailleur.

The situation seems to be worse if I am in a very low gear on the rear, if the rear cassette is in a mid gear I think the change on the front is slightly better. Am I pushing the system to extreme here ? ie trying to change to a high front gear while retaining a very low rear gear.

Is their a 'technique' to gear changing or should I just take the bike back to the lbs and get them to reset everything. I think new cables etc. were fitted at the time of upgrade so perhaps this could be a result of bedding in or cable stretch.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Comments

• Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    bianchibob wrote:
    I have recently had my Campagnolo Veloce gear set replaced with a Record 10 speed set up by my lbs.

On a recent ride I have noticed that the front derailleur is struggling to change from small front cog to large front cog after a hill climb. I have to really ratchet the lever over very hard, several times, and the shift seems to take quite along time to happen, (if at all) I don't recall this happening on the old Veloce front derailleur.

The situation seems to be worse if I am in a very low gear on the rear, if the rear cassette is in a mid gear I think the change on the front is slightly better. Am I pushing the system to extreme here ? ie trying to change to a high front gear while retaining a very low rear gear.

Is their a 'technique' to gear changing or should I just take the bike back to the lbs and get them to reset everything. I think new cables etc. were fitted at the time of upgrade so perhaps this could be a result of bedding in or cable stretch.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Sounds like the cable bedding in to me. New cables?

You should be able to sort it with the tension adjuster.
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Yeah this sounds a lot like a cable tension problem. Try using the barrel adjuster to add a little more tension.