Lorry Driver Kills AGAIN!

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    *pedantic legally bit* has been questioned as part of a HGV v Ped fatality inquiry.

but if the report is right then there should be a strictly enforced lifetime ban from driving anything at all as the very least sanction he receives
  • *pedantic legally bit* has been questioned as part of a HGV v Ped fatality inquiry.

but if the report is right then there should be a strictly enforced lifetime ban from driving anything at all as the very least sanction he receives
    Well, looking at the date of that article, I did wonder whether there was much to this. But then, a little Google-fu came up with this BBC article from last week.

I remember the October article coming up on a few cycling boards at the time. I'm surprised the more recent BBC (and other sites') coverage of the charge hasn't. There was talk in November, around the time Private Eye first broke the story, that the coroner's inquest might be reopened, or the police might reopen the case. Again, I've not heard anything since.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    *pedantic legally bit* has been questioned as part of a HGV v Ped fatality inquiry.

Well, looking at the date of that article, I did wonder whether there was much to this. But then, a little Google-fu came up with this BBC article from last week.

I remember the October article coming up on a few cycling boards at the time. I'm surprised the more recent BBC (and other sites') coverage of the charge hasn't. There was talk in November, around the time Private Eye first broke the story, that the coroner's inquest might be reopened, or the police might reopen the case. Again, I've not heard anything since.

ah, ha. the perils of a 5 minute tea break.
  • And a report today on the committal proceedings from last week.

Referencing this article from Thursday.

It seems that Joao Lopes has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving of 97-year-old pedestrian Nora Gutmann, and has been bailed to appear in Isleworth Crown Court a year after her death.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    However, Jonathan Hough, representing the coroner, insisted that the incident was of a type that is “tragically common,” and that no element of it would lead the coroner to consider that it “illustrated a systemic problem or that it might call for some specific response.”

I noticed this in one of those news reports. How can something tragically common NOT illustrate a systemic problem????