Who uses what?

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm trying to convert all my thinking over to km as it appeals to my engineering side, though it's hard to drop miles (especially in the uk)

What do people use, and why?
FCN: 6

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Miles for me. As you point out, it makes more sense in this country: Road signs are in miles, speed limits are in mph and it's the mindset of nearly everyone you meet.

When I was a runner, however, I used to think in kms up to 10k when I'd start thinking in miles again.

Rob
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I can't vote :o
    I use miles in this Country and km in Europe.

Logic being that the road signs are in these units.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Default is miles so all my measurements are in miles. I do however do the conversions mentally on most of my rides. A few years ago I did set my computer to km but it never became 2nd nature to think in km so eventually gave up.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I voted km as it is what I use in a sporting context such as 10k cross-country runs and watching pro cycling. I've never tried to use km exclusively though, obviously in the car I think in miles.
  • Km. I lived abroad for 9 years in a country that uses km so got used to that and just stuck with it. Anyway, 100km sounds a lot better than 62miles!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Miles all the way. We live in the UK and that's the currency here. And to take issue with Big Geordie 100 miles sounds a lot better than 100 Km. :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Miles to other cyclists, Km to non cyclists :wink::wink:
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Cycling, driving, normal life when referring to speed and travel distances: Miles. Using km feels very awkward, and when I tell people my round trip commute is 50km, I get accused of using km because it 'sounds more'. However, when referring to distances not related to travel, I often use km.

When calculating anything in a scientific environment (e.g. workplace) my default is to swap to SI units, although my profession uses a mix of imperial and metric for different things.

When I am doing building work / DIY at home, I use a mix of length units. :?
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Brought up on mainland Europe and being into bike racing I use KM. I find it much easier to imagine how long 1km is on the bike than 1 mile. It's easy to break 1km into 10x100m segments, but I have no idea how many yards or feet or whatever measurement you break miles into is in 1/10th of a mile.

I am also amused when people say things like 'its x miles, but about 500m before the end theres a wee climb'.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Time !
    If you pedal at an average 90rpm, you will do 5400 pedal strokes in 1 hour.
    If you pedal at an average 80rpm, you will do 4800 pedal strokes etc.
    Seen as cyclist ought to be fit, and Evans won the tour at an ave. of 104 for his final TT, should we perhaps, be placing the emphasis on time ?! Armstrong changed his whole pedalling style because the chemo changed his physiology. Within no time of him winning the tour the 1st time, every one was talking about triple chainsets and pedalling quickly and more efficiently
    So, theoretically, an hour on the bike pedalled at a rate of 90-100 rpm, is going to acheive 5700 pedal strokes and a 1 and a half hour ride pedalled at 60 rpm is 5400 pedal strokes. Surely, an hour at an ave. 95rpm, is acheiving better fitness/condition?. I have some continental friends and they always talk about a 2 hour ride or a 3 hour ride. Distance is mentioned far less frequently.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Time !

When I went to America and stayed with my Aunt whenever I asked how far it was to somewhere she would respond "Three hours." I then had to say "No, how far is it? Not how long will it take to get there?" I used to find it quite annoying.

Generally I think of longer distances in miles, shorter distances and when hill walking in kilometres and metres, but I'm quite happy converting between the two.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Miles, because I'm British and that's the measure in this country.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Racist.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I measure in feet as it's less than a kilometre ride to the coffee shop.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Joe--23
    Joe--23 Posts: 4
    I always use km/h & km. I guess its from my time in the U.S and most of the continent use km over miles
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Racist.

No, are you?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    UK went metric a while ago didn't it?

KMs for me. They mean something. Miles I only work out relative to KMs.
  • UK went metric a while ago didn't it?

They haven't gotten round to changing the road signs yet though.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    UK went metric a while ago didn't it?

They haven't gotten round to changing the road signs yet though.
    I'll have a pint while I think about it....... :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    I'll have a pint while I think about it....... :wink:

Presumably beer not milk.
  • miles - people who use KM just want to make it sound more impressive!

100KM sounds better then 60 miles doesnt it? non of this euro rubbish! :P
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.