Lessons for the day (YES...I crashed)

Andy Dobson
Andy Dobson Posts: 366
edited April 2012 in MTB general
After a lesson/session with Tony "Jedi" Doyle back in Feb, I had the chance to put all that into practice today. So...with a 2-3 hour pass from the good lady, I head for Yoghart Pots in the Surrey Hills (I'm lucky to live locally) to practice my "looking, footwork and mental attitude", the three things that Tony had faulted with my riding.

Now.....I have recently changed brakes to a nice new Hope M4/X2 set-up that have been on the bike for about 50-60 miles. I'm really liking them and they are feeling good but I was expecting a little more "bite" from the front M4. I also changed my riding position on Tony's advice by moving my saddle back 30mm and swapping my 100mm stem for a 70mm.

The idea was to run through a trail I know (YP) several times to develop and analyse and therefore improve. I planned 6 runs and that is what happened.

Run 1: A gentle run through the trail concentrating on lines and looking resulted in a time of 2:40 and a couple of front end wash-outs/slides as I fought with the feel of the shorter stem. Back to the trailhead to try again.

Run 2: A faster run with more front end commitment resulted in a time of 2:10 and the same front tyre slide in the same corner but better looking and far less "comfort braking" as a result. Back to the top......

Run 3: Good feel from the front with better body position and leaning the bike more but the time was ruined by some hikers in the middle of the trail. They have as much right to be there as I do but it did kind of miff me off a bit as the run was feeling good. time was 2:25

Run 4: Met with some guy's from Brighton way at the trail head and decided to follow them through but soon caught up with thier slowest rider and just followed him down the trail to the end. Time was 2:46

Run 5: Another run that felt good and stable having got used to the feel with the new stem. Time of 2:05 was stuffed by yet more hikers in the middle of the trail. Back to the top for one more run.......

Run 6: The guys from Brighton decided on a slow "pump" run to concentrate on lines so I went out first and fast. My aim was a sub 2 minute run. The first few burmed corners felt right for the first time with more commitment and the following dips felt good as I pumped through them. I peddled like hell across the next short rooty flat section into the first real drop on the trail. Picked my line....looked down and.........straight out the front door at a damn good lick. Stitches in the left knee, cuts and bruises to my right leg and elbow, a ruined helmet and a faltering ego the only damage. Looking back on the accident, I looked down and comfort braked at the bottom of the dip. At some point, the front M4 had decided to "bed in" and give me the bite I'd been expecting but never had.....Nice timing...

Lessons for the day.............

1: Get your technique right before "going for it".

2: Before you spend good money on new bits for your bike, get some decent knee and elbow pads and always wear them.

3: Never push your limits with new gear fitted until you're sure it works and how it works.

4: 48 1/2 year olds still bounce!!!!:-)
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy :-)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Give it time - 49 1/2 year olds just go splat. I know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Andy Dobson
    cooldad wrote:
    Give it time - 49 1/2 year olds just go splat. I know.

:lol::lol::lol:

I might well feel the same in the morning...
  • BennyB
    BennyB Posts: 174
    I hope you dont mind but ive just had a massive chuckle at this. Top work fella!
    Ime diving, ime bored, ime on the diving board
  • Andy Dobson
    BennyB wrote:
    I hope you dont mind but ive just had a massive chuckle at this. Top work fella!

Not at all Benny. Pretty stupid thing to do.

I might add Lesson 5:.......Don't treat even your local well known trails as a race track.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As you push harder like that, especailly after 3 baulked runs, the crash was inevitable, even the pro's do it, you could have left us guessing with a less informative thread title though.....hint for the NEXT TIME.....;-)

Having had a bake lever through an arm muscle and a broken rib in the last 6 months, it's reassuring to know that in 3 years I'll be no worse off in the bounce department!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Conditions are ripe for washing out a lot at the moment, dry but loose in many places especially on the berms. So I found (and making me think about elbow pads now). It's very tempting to push it at the moment though as the trails are running so well, and I keep doing the same trails each week and see how much harder/faster I can go and what little more air I can get (talking about 1cm off the ground typical for me anyway :D). A few near misses and the odd tumble is resulting.

Other than that, yeah after some tweaks in your kit or even your riding technique, don't push it until you're comfortable. That said from those who've had Jedi training it seems inevitable that some crashes initially are to be expected as they get used to a different style to what they're used to.

And hikers on YP - they deserve to get run over on there. Plenty of trails for them either side of it and far more suited to walking!
  • Andy Dobson
    deadkenny wrote:
    And hikers on YP - they deserve to get run over on there. Plenty of trails for them either side of it and far more suited to walking!

Think of them as mobile chicanes. Maybe we ought to be awarded "boo" points for near misses :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Better lesson - don't crash! :p

Elbow pads though? Just learn to fall better, I've never landed on my elbows before... I know it sounds silly, but learning to fall properly is a good idea, I just do it out of instinct now. I had a nice crash when I was up snowdon on a gnarly steepy rocky section on the ranger's path (those who have ridden it will know which bit i mean!). I noticed how nasty it was going to be to land on, so I managed to spin around mid-fall and land on my hydration pack. Reckon it saved me a broken wrist or something.

The crash is on vid here just in case you fancied a watch :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Taking a berm fast at steep lean angle, loose conditions, front washed out. There was no chance of falling "properly", right arm takes the impact, or rather scrapes along the ground.

Okay it's healed mostly around a week later, but a layer of skin shaved off is surprisingly painful and would have been better with some protection there. Then again I wouldn't really bother for the usual trails, just for gnarly DH stuff really, though this was just on the usual trails.
  • ilovedirt
    Aye I know sometimes it's unavoidable, but i mean wherever possible, try not to land too heavily on your wrists or whatever and roll out of it. In the warm weather I'd rather wear a t-shirt rather than something long sleeved and risk grazing my arms or whatever, but like i say I've never properly landed on my elbows before, seems a pretty strange way to land...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    You missed the biggest lesson. ALWAYS bed your brakes in properly on a long descent pref road, never quickly on the trail. (unless you have worn your pads out in situ). Your pads will last longer bedding in properly and no sudden surprises.
    I hate hikers on the yogurt pots, they are thick enough to know thats not a really a walking trail so I delight in the death stare as I whiz them. :shock: You have half a year on me which make you the old b@stard then. :twisted:
    Don't think, BE:
  • cooldad
    You are both still babies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Never landed on my elbows. My shoulders usually take the brunt of it.

Couldn't bear to wear protection on my elbows personally.
  • Andy Dobson
    I'm not looking forward to having to wear protection at all (other than a helmet). But....The fact remains that if I want to keep doing the sport I love, I need to look after myself as best I can......

I may still think I'm 14 and can fly....But I'm not and I can't.
  • Andy Dobson
    cooldad wrote:
    You are both still babies.

Only mentally...... :lol:
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I may still think I'm 14 and can fly....But I'm not and I can't.

You and Orville then?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Andy Dobson
    Now now Ben. I might have to tell all about the Ben v iPhone v VW Golf incident at the bottom of Telegraph Road if you start down that road. :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rather loose the skin off my elbow than break a collar bone, landing on a shoulder is ripe for that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Now now Ben. I might have to tell all about the Ben v iPhone v VW Golf incident at the bottom of Telegraph Road if you start down that road. :lol:
    Tell it anyway. I would except he's helping me sort a creak out tomorrow. Might sabotage me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    I wouldn't mind hearing this story ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    More walkers on YP today. Despite hurtling down past them, went round for another take, and more of them!
  • Andy Dobson
    cooldad wrote:
    Tell it anyway. I would except he's helping me sort a creak out tomorrow. Might sabotage me.

You were there Cooldad. It was the same day you guys tried to kill me with a full on 4 hill epic.
  • Andy Dobson
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I wouldn't mind hearing this story ;)

Not without Bens pemission. One of the funniest post landings I've ever seen. Ben is one of the most talented riders i've ever seen but this was a classic.
  • cooldad
    I would but he's helping me with my bike tomorrow. Suffice to say it was rather silly and very funny.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    WTF he was cruising through the carpark looking at his phone, and when he looked up realised he had two choices, hit the dirt, or hit a Golf. He chose the Golf. If the Golf owner is reading this, I will deny everything.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Rather loose the skin off my elbow than break a collar bone, landing on a shoulder is ripe for that!
    Yep, i nearly did once! Unfortuntely i can't control the way i fall very well :s

Besides if you're landing hard enough to break a collar bone landing on your elbow is gonna break your arm anyway, pads or not.
  • Andy Dobson
    cooldad wrote:
    WTF he was cruising through the carpark looking at his phone, and when he looked up realised he had two choices, hit the dirt, or hit a Golf. He chose the Golf. If the Golf owner is reading this, I will deny everything.

It was the way Ben nonchalantly he rolled off the side of the car into a seated position still looking at his iPhone and coolly started drinking from his Camelback as if he meant it all along that got me. The look on his face still makes me chuckle to this day.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I deny everything. Twice.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    YP just needs a sign at the bottom warning walkers that they are walking up a mtb trail. Most wouldn't do it if they knew. I find it very frustrating, but I always stop and politely tell them the risks.

Anything under 2 mins isn't bad, <1:50 is pretty good. Any regulars on holmbury know where the trails are so I'd be surprised if these walkers were not doing it deliberately. Still can't blame them when there is no sign.
  • Anonymous
    Ones I saw looked like they may be bird watchers as there were others about on the side trail looking about like they were. Maybe there's some fancy rare bird along there. Can but hope :D