ok to store bikes outside but undercover?

MrMister111
MrMister111 Posts: 74
edited April 2012 in MTB general
It's that time of year again for me and the kids to get our bikes out. We have a small shed but is awkward all the time to get the bikes in and out.

So we have a conservatory (already asked the missus, not allowed to leave them in there!), and the way its built next to the garden wall there is a space where the bikes would fit great. Now what I was thinking was to fit some brackets to lock the bikes up, and put some form of cover, either a cloth/waterproof bike cover over them or a little corrugated/plastic roof.

Our garden is pretty secluded, but obviously if someone came in they would see them. The bikes are basic bikes nothing flash, but still wouldn't want them pinched! (would insurance cover this for where they would be stored?)

My question is, as they would be virtually "outside" would they be ok for rusting, weatherproof etc?

Anyone else store their bikes like this, or similar can help.

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The bikes would be fine if you keep the rain off them. Your insurers wouldn't be too happy though, and neither would you when they don't pay out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Insurers won't be happy as there is no security such as locked doors etc, but as above, the bikes will be fine if kept dry
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    leave the missus outside so she gets nicked,, then you can keep the bikes in the conservatory.

as mentioned if covered should be fine but ins would not be happy at all.

i would never leave my bikes in the garden nor would i leave them without the 15 locks that lock them up..

yep it not a very good area round here,, it's true what they say it's grim oooooooop north.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    delcol wrote:
    it's true what they say it's grim oooooooop north.
    Unless you're in London, then its grim daaan saath
  • Ok so if I get a tarpaulin cover to throw over them they will be fine? They'll still be open to the elements as such, but covered.

I agree about the insurance, but to be honest, the shed although sturdy, only had one simple lock on and would be easy to break into tbh, and the bike's aren't locked up inside either.

So maybe if they are down the side of the conservatory, with a wall bracket on, locked to this they'll probably be more secure tbh

I'm from up North btw, north east England anyway!

Maybe an idea for me then, any idea's where to get some tarpaulin or cover from, and what's best locks?

Anyone else have there's stored like this?
    Cheers
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Ok so if I get a tarpaulin cover to throw over them they will be fine? They'll still be open to the elements as such, but covered.

I agree about the insurance, but to be honest, the shed although sturdy, only had one simple lock on and would be easy to break into tbh, and the bike's aren't locked up inside either.

So maybe if they are down the side of the conservatory, with a wall bracket on, locked to this they'll probably be more secure tbh

I'm from up North btw, north east England anyway!

Maybe an idea for me then, any idea's where to get some tarpaulin or cover from, and what's best locks?

Anyone else have there's stored like this?
    Cheers
    How about you dig yourself a fake garden pond, decorate with all the works, stone features etc etc, then store the bikes in it overnight with a tarp over the top. No theif is gonna think twice about looking under it 8)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tarpaulins are a few quids on Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    How about you dig yourself a fake garden pond, decorate with all the works, stone features etc etc, then store the bikes in it overnight with a tarp over the top. No theif (except me) is gonna think twice about looking under it 8)
    Ooh, dodgy bugger!

Considering the weatherproofing, there's really very little on a bike that will be affected by rain, anyhow.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rain will soon cause a chain to go rusty as it washes away any lube, other than that nothing else suffers much, stop direct rain and unless you live near the sea you'll be fine.....

My daughter goes to Uni in Aberystwyth, brought her decent bike back as everything goes rusty in the salt laden air unless kept indoors, undercover makes little ods.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ah I live about 2 miles from the sea, is this too close to leave outside under cover?
  • Why not get a lean to shed, either wooden or plastic, they aren't very deep, and screw though the back of it directly into the wall with some heavy duty eyebolts, which you can then chain your bikes to.

http://www.tigersheds.com/product_detail.asp?prod=272
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ah I live about 2 miles from the sea, is this too close to leave outside under cover?
    Hard to say, my daughter was 1/2 mile from the sea......depends which coast, how much spray is generated, cliffs and winds all play there part, Aberystwyth has no cliff protecting the town and as its the Irish sea it gets rough so lots of spray aided by short sharply rising beaches (flat like much of Devon for example allow the waves to dispate energy more slowly), somedays you can taste the salt in the air.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.