wirral to blackpool bike ride

boardmancomp555
boardmancomp555 Posts: 48
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
was thinking of riding to Blackpool and back wen weather gets better,has any one rode from the wirral to Blackpool or from liverpool ferry terminal to blackpool and return, if so how long did it take there and back ?

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Kinda depends on your fitness really, I guess its about 50 miles all in from Liverpool? average 12-15mph rolling along and its 3 1/2 - to 4 hours. faster and it'll take you less time. slower and you'll fall off :wink:

I don't much like the Lytham way in, pretty but it seems to drag on forever and the wind off the sea is always cold.
  • thanks fitness not 2 bad just got back in after being wind swept and blown backwards along new Brighton prom in wirral on my training route soaked from head 2 foot, 15 miles 70% of that in the facing wind .
  • pretty straightforward really....literally out of ferry terminal, turn left......follow dock road then A565 then A59 to Preston then A583 straight onto Blackpool....only one hill on the climb up to Ormskirk but really flat the rest of the way and not a great challenge.
    the scenery is nice once past Crosby, a nice ride actually

Dave
  • thanks dave just depends which way wind blowing
  • that's a point, but if you ride there and back then that's that problem taken care of!!

Dave
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    that's a point, but if you ride there and back then that's that problem taken care of!!

Dave

If it's an Easterly, you'll feel it as a headwind both ways and it will be trying to blow you into the sea :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    i'd avoid the later a59 as it nears preston, can be very mad and the cycle path is a bit rubbish - the a59 up to ormskirk is wide and nicely twig/thorn/broken glass free. You can do a loop round the later a59 and do some country lanes, safer and nicer - a bit like this

and if you look on that route for rufford, just as you come out of mains lane and turn lane - just by rufford station is Fettlers Wharf Marina, local and groovy cyclists cafe - so if you need to refuel thats a fab place to do it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.