Buying my 1st bike

boz337
boz337 Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting my 1st decent bike my mates are into it and i could do with the exercise :wink: they do trails and that ,15 to 20 mile routes got 500 to spend on it just wondering if yer had any ideas cheers for any advice thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For £500 the 'goto' choice is the Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon, the other 2 choices are the Carrera Fury or Voodoo Hoodoo but they are a bit burlier and less XC orientated.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • boz337
    will have a look at those one of the lads has a voodoo and really likes it has upgraded forks and that tho but will check em out cheers
  • boz337
    been having a good look and i'm fancying a GT avalanche 09 for 450 or maybe a giant xtc 4 09 for 430 both from pauls cycles what do yer think ???
  • The Rookie
    Links help!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p2232

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s2p2287
    Forget the Giant, the Fordk is a stinker, the GT is a nice spec, the fork isn't as good as the RR 8.1, but the rest is good, as is, the RR is the better bike becasue of the Fork, spend £200ish (new) on a fork for the GT and it'll be slightly better........how conviced are you that you'll want to do that?
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I had the GT avalanche 09 for a while (friend now has it) and it was a great bike. The fork was far better than I expected it would be and an recomend the bike to a beginner.

I agree with the above that on paper the rock rider is a better bike, but the GT is still a nice bike.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Everyone rates the Rockrider, but I've not ridden one so I can't comment.

I do have a GT Avalanche 1.0 though - and I've now done over 250 miles on it. Mine's supposedly a 2010 so similar spec but with a Tora 302 up front (which isn't working properly). I've changed mine a bit (65mm stem and 745 bars - highly recommended) and even with a fork that's only got 40mm if travel (till I fix it) I would say that it's a really fun bike to ride.

The Avalanche is not light, but it does not feel heavy on the climbs, and it is built to be strong and confidence inspiring. I'd say it's a good choice for a starter trail bike - and for £450 it's a decent buy as the kit on it is very good. Budget on some better pedals though (MG1s £35 or Nanos £45)
    I was going to save up and put a better fork on mine but I think I'll wait to see how the Tora feels once it is serviced and working.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • The Rookie
    The Tora is a lot better fork than on that 09 bike, the point for the OP is whether or not he thinks that in the next year he'll be happy to spend the extra on a better fork, if the answer is no, the the RR or Hoodoo are better bet's right now, if it's yes, then the GT may be a better bet......needs to try both 'on for size' as well....one may just not suite.
  • boz337
    cheers for the info just wanting a good base to start with really will defo invest in some decent forks after a while maybe some rockshox reba or sommat that spec and probably some brakes but thats probably gonna be 6 - 12 months away there is a giant talon 1 for 460 that a quite like or a scott aspect 35 (from pauls cycles ) but i dont think the gear on it is as good
  • The Rookie
    LINKS?
  • boz337
    edging toward the gt i think , do like the look of it
  • The Rookie
    Neither comes close to the RR, the Talon against has that dart2 thing Rockshox claim is a fork.....The Scott is better but still nowhere near the RR.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    from a different thread with a similar question to yours
    Stebbil wrote:
    Well i ended up listening to you all and went with the rockrider. It looks great in the flesh and am really happy with it. The guy who served me at decathalon was fantastic - really helpful and wadnt trying to push for a sale. Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this forum, you expertly advised me to go for the best bike for my money. Cheers, Stebbil
    does reading that tell you anything ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • boz337
    seen a claud butler too that i like but dont know much about em any info on those?
  • boz337
    gear on it looks like good stuff apart from forks but will be changing those at some point anyway but dunno what the frames are like on em
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Frames are OK, but that Rockrider is still better overall!
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Most frames are made in the far east in the same factories so at a particular price point they are all going to be fairly similar across different brands, at this level and for a new rider I would say that any differences in geometry (as long as the frame is the right size) are going to be less important than they are for an experienced rider buying a more expensive bike for a specific use therefore it's best to choose the bike with the best specification that is the best value for money. i.e. Get the Rockrider 8.1.
  • boz337
    and just finally what about this one too although defo getting the impression that the rockrider is the one !

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2538
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    It's £580 with postage and components are better on the Rockrider plus you'll be able to try for size from Decathalon.
  • boz337
    yeah sounds like i need to go try the RR out then cheers for the advice will be back when ive bought one :)
  • boz337
    Bit the bullet and got a rockrider in the end 1st outing today got caught in the pissing rain + blathered tho
    bike seems spot so cheers for the help everyone thanks.