Helmet Colour

lukadabuca
lukadabuca Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I plan to spend a decent amount on a new helmet and just wanted to get feedback in terms on colour.

Would a black one absorb heat and make me too hot? Would the vents cancel this out?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Luke

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I suppose in theory a black one might get hotter than a white one, but in practice unless you're planning on cycling through the Australian outback I don't think you'd notice any difference.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I have ridden in the heat in a black helmet and also in a white one, no difference, it's the isolation/insulation that keeps the heat out (and the heat in) air flow is the way to stay cool, more vents, better design (I have a white Giro Atmos, coolest one I've tried)

As a lecturer in visual communication I would say that light colours recede and dark colours advance, so the lighter colours will look less 'shroom like! :D

Brighter colours could be considered more visible, disambiguate.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Match the helmet colour to the saddle, stem, bars and your shoes or the frame decals.
    Wear a cap when its hot.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    A yellow one will attract insects.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Purple
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Match the helmet colour to the saddle, stem, bars and your shoes or the frame decals.
    Wear a cap when its hot.

Which may mean no helmet at all if the decals are the type that Ezy favours!
  • thanks, black it is then!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    wear a white or bright colour for safety - but venting makes more difference than colour in heat
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2