Cold feet / bad circulation

dthomas31uk
dthomas31uk Posts: 14
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys. Been on my road bike a few times now, but keep getting cold feet or could be bad circulation after about an hours cycling.

Any ideas how I can prevent this?

Have heard about getting bigger shoes and thicker socks, but is there anything else that can help?

Cheers have Mavic shoes and wear a pair of thick socks

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I have the same problem. As long as its not your bike lit that wrong i.e.putting preasure on certain areas / stopping bloody flow etc then I found over shoes the best solution, or if its not to bad some Gore Windstopper socks...long as their breathable your notice a big difference. Only issue is that your potentially stuffing your foot and sock layering into the shoes making them now a tight fit and being counterproductive as your have reduced circulation !
    Only way I got around it is a set of larger shoes for winter and my race shoes for summer...yet its expensive but its worked for me. Your shoe choice is good as Mavic are very cosy, only thing I found was their quite thin so could get cold in winter. Ive used Northwave, Sidi and Shimano (R300's current winter favourites!) in the winter as I've found them slightly warmer..Shimano ones are def thicker then most...could find yourself a budget pair for the winter ? Hope that helps....I know how cold feet can just ruin a ride :cry:
  • Cheers for the advice John. Think I will invest in some gore socks and overshoes. Think will look at getting winter shoes for next winter now as we are approaching warmer weather, but thanks for your advice.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Some neoprene overshoes are the cheapest and most versatile option I reckon- the Endura ones I've got were about £20 and should keep your feet nice and warm (but not necessarily dry) for a couple of seasons.

If you're jamming socks in and making your shoes very tight that can make you colder if circulation is reduced.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    If you get some Neoprene overshoes you shouldn't even have to worry about thick socks -> a thin winter Sock like Edura merino will sit nicely with a warm overshoe down into the negatives.

You can also invest in some thinner lycra overshoes for warmer weather riding.
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Ignore it and keep pedalling? It'll be summer 'soon'.
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    This time of year overshoes are all you'll probably need.
    In the depths of winter you need to go the next step and buy a hat, endura sells a good one for £10.
    Most of your body heat is lost through your head, and to maintain the bodies core temperature the blood vessels to your hands and feet become narrower to constrict the flow of blood to them. Keeping your core temperature high keeps the blood flow to your hands and feet going and therefore they will remain warm.
    Hence the old camping term - "If you've got cold feet wear a hat" - no I'm not joking try it and see.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you get some Neoprene overshoes you shouldn't even have to worry about thick socks -> a thin winter Sock like Edura merino will sit nicely with a warm overshoe down into the negatives.

You are making some optimistic assumptions here - just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. I wear thick socks, big boots and thick overshoes and I was extremely grateful to a mild winter. Much below zero and my feet will get very cold despite all of the above.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    Rolf F wrote:

You are making some optimistic assumptions here - just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. I wear thick socks, big boots and thick overshoes and I was extremely grateful to a mild winter. Much below zero and my feet will get very cold despite all of the above.

Maybe your feet are getting too warm with so many layers? they then sweat a lot, getting wet and therefore cold.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    A pair of defeet woolie boolie socks should do you
  • rolf_f
    Maybe your feet are getting too warm with so many layers? they then sweat a lot, getting wet and therefore cold.

I'd know if my feet were getting too warm! It's down to poor circulation and a lot of people have it. It's ever so slightly frustrating when people recommend a great, guaranteed solution, based on their own experience that doesn't even begin to work for you :lol:

I often need overshoes in summer.........

On the other hand, I am completely at a loss to understand the point of gilets! My arms will always end up colder than my torso. If my body needs warming, so do my arms!

PS Woolie Boolies are as effective as any other warm sock - ie not especially!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I was suffering the same. I got some Endura slick toe covers but it didn't help much. Then I stopped using a couple of pairs of thick socks and used three pairs of thin summer socks. It worked much better as the thick socks in the shoes were to tight and making it worse. With the thin socks, there's more space so I guess more room to trap air - much like wearing multiple base layers.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I have neoprene overshoes and warm socks but still get cold feet. Best thing I've found is a plastic bag over each foot between sock and shoe. Sweaty, but warmer.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • slowondefy2
    slowondefy2 Posts: 348
    Rolf F wrote:
    On the other hand, I am completely at a loss to understand the point of gilets! My arms will always end up colder than my torso. If my body needs warming, so do my arms!

I don't care if my arms feel cold, but a gilet can be just right for keeping the wind from the torso.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Rolf F wrote:

I'd know if my feet were getting too warm! It's down to poor circulation and a lot of people have it. It's ever so slightly frustrating when people recommend a great, guaranteed solution, based on their own experience that doesn't even begin to work for you :lol:

Can you start your own thread as this isn't about you.
  • alihisgreat
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

To be fair he was contributing to the topic.
  • rolf_f
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Lol - have you never been on internet forums before? I'm sure we can find a beginners guide if it helps!

Yes, as Alihisgreat kindly points out - I was contributing to the topic. Just pointing out that Woolie Boolies aren't a guaranteed fix as you implied. I'm not bothered about my own circumstances (basically, I know nothing will work aside from active measures such as heated insoles which I didn't try this year as winter never really happened) so I don't feel the need to start a new thread - but thanks for the concern :wink:

I may try the double thin sock approach - not sure I've tried that variation yet but it sounds logical.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    After an hours riding in cold weather my left foot gets cold. So, to get over it but not completely I wear a larger shoe with a thermal and thicker sock. But what did the trick was to change the SPD pedals for MTB pedals and heavy trainers.
    A bit drastic but after a bit of practice I found it okay and no cold foot any more. :D

Just found this on Cake Stop in case you think you may be thinking it's not on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZN ... =endscreen

I thought OMG
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.