Seat post sliding

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited June 2012 in The workshop
Any ideas why the seat post (CF) on the CX keeps sliding down? the post retaining collar is tightened as much as I dare bearing in mind the CF post and yet it still keeps losing it's position.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You've got assembly paste in there, right?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gbsahne001
    davis wrote:

OK. what's assembly paste?

Edit: quick google and I see a solution, thanks
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Wot used to run down the leg of the unwell at school in the big hall.
    Peter
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gbsahne wrote:
    davis wrote:

OK. what's assembly paste?

Edit: quick google and I see a solution, thanks

The theory goes that you should get carbon-specific stuff:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-fiber-grip-assembly-gel-450g-tub/

The reality is that it's hugely overpriced gunk. If I recall correctly it's a grease of some sort with little particles of schmutter in to create the grip effect. Frankly that tub would last forever, which makes it less extortionate.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Evans do a tube that contains about 100g, can't recall what I paid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    The tube's 50g (costs about £8-9). A 450g tub would be excessive for most people. I've built a bike (CF pin, steerer and bars) and used it for a CF pin in another bike and still have loads left in my tube.
  • gbsahne001
    Godders1 wrote:
    The tube's 50g (costs about £8-9). A 450g tub would be excessive for most people. I've built a bike (CF pin, steerer and bars) and used it for a CF pin in another bike and still have loads left in my tube.

£6.25 with Parker, only downside is you need to make up a £20 order to get free shipping, but as the wife's away, that's not really an issue
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Assembly paste...
    DF33 wrote:
    Wot used to run down the leg of the unwell at school in the big hall.

They use this? :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • gbsahne001
    assembly paste, hasn't cured the problem I suspect the seat clamp's dead; new one ordered and we'll see if this helps.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just fill the seat tube with gravel until the seat post sits at the correct height! Easy! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    Rolf F wrote:
    Just fill the seat tube with gravel until the seat post sits at the correct height! Easy! :lol:

wonder whether expanding foam would work? :)
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Freakin' amateurs. Thanks for wasting his time. Gravel and expanding foam. Yeah, right.

Weld it on. Its the only answer. Or fill the frame with steel - gravel and SEF will both compress after a while.

HTH

Y
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    I've got a couple of jubilee clips on mine.

Wish I'd thought of using gravel, would have saved me a fortune! :)

Andy
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    cant you just drill through your seat tube an put a nut an bolt, if your worried about weight just use a nice titanium bolt?

problem solved
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • billyballs
    billyballs Posts: 41
    These reply,s are class, i like a good laugh. on a serious note if it,s a quick release clamp i cured mine by putting a small amount of lube in the moving patr of the clamp , this lets you tighten the clamp up a bit more, also line up the open part of the clamp with the slot on the down tube . worked for me. as a last resort go with the gravel as sand will run out the drain hole under the bottom bracket if there is one.
  • gbsahne001
    Fitted one of these

259fn9g.jpg

and in 1000miles it's not moved.