cassette fitting trouble

jimmyjones
jimmyjones Posts: 36
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, I have a Bombshell qr hub and have just bought a shimano 9spd cassette.

Although the cassette seems to fit nicely the lock ring wont fir around the hub.

Jw whether it would be as simple as buying a bigger lock ring? or whether there is another issue?

Also took some pics

DSC_0428.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

Any advice would be great

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    do you have all the cassette rings on the right way around?
  • do you have all the cassette rings on the right way around?

Yes just double checked and they have all locked into place nicely. From what I can see its more the size of the lock ring hole being to small to fit over the end of the hub, else it looks like it would fit right.

Wondering if a different sized lock ring would have a wider hole to fit over it :/ not sure how the sizing works for them
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    As far as I know lockrings are a standard size. Otherwise you'd have more choices when buying a lockring tool.

Is this a new wheel or did you remove an old cassette?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo
    Just done a quick search of bombshell hubs and they only have bmx hubs on their website. Do you know what model this is?

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    Just done a quick search of bombshell hubs and they only have bmx hubs on their website. Do you know what model this is?

The wheel and cassette have been bought seperate.

On the hub itself all it says is "bombshell".

found a hub called bombshell switchIt
    http://raffchop.info/bombshell-switchit-mtb-disc-hub.htm

their the closest thing I can see to mine, although the logo is slightly different; so could be a different model or year.
  • oodboo
    I was thinking it would be the switchit one. The axle is held in place by the end caps. This appears to be what is stopping the lockring from fitting. Are the end caps on the wrong sides? I think you should be able to just pull them off and swap them over.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    I was thinking it would be the switchit one. The axle is held in place by the end caps. This appears to be what is stopping the lockring from fitting. Are the end caps on the wrong sides? I think you should be able to just pull them off and swap them over.

your absolutely right! cheers for that mate! previous owner must have taken their cassette off and switched the ends!

thanks again