Changing cassette

eugene1277
eugene1277 Posts: 29
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hi

This might sound like a bit of a stupid question, but:

If i change my rear cassette to a different ratio one, would i need to alter my chain length to accommodate this?

My initial thought is no, surely the actual cassette would be the same size, just different amount of teeth, no?

Thanks

Comments

• Thought as much... Thanks :)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    eugene1277 wrote:
    surely the actual cassette would be the same size, just different amount of teeth, no?
    no, the cassette has to be bigger to get more teeth on it, haven't you noticed that the cogs differ in size, for example, if you went from a 32 to a 36, it may also affect what length cage rear mech you would need, never mind the chain length
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Oh right... Well id rather get the same ratio cassette just to avoid any issues arising.. I was just seeing how much of an issue it was changing ratios and how it would effect the chain length.. Never been any good with chains so want to avoid having to alter links etc..

Thanks
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Will probably be fine. There should be enough play in the system for some change. Unless you are changing from a very small to very big then I can't see any issues. Except of course if your current cassette is very worn and then you would need a new chain anyway!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    eugene1277 wrote:
    surely the actual cassette would be the same size, just different amount of teeth, no?
    No otherwise how would the chain mesh with the teeth if they were closer together?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Worrying about chain length is a bit of a silly reason not to change a cassette IMO. Easy enough to measure the length needed. You'll have to do it sooner or later anyway when you fit a new chain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    And also, to reiterate what Gezebo said - if you change your cassette, then there's a really good chance you'll have to change your chain at the same time.
    All parts of the drivetrain wear down - sticking a new cassette, chainring, or chain on an old drivetrain can lead to chain slipping issues.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most OE chains are too long anyway, but it in 'big big' and take a photo and post it and we'll have a good idea whether it will cope or not....changing it is a doddle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    As others have said the chances are unless newish your chain will not mate well with the new cassette. Besides it often cheaper to buy a chain + mech bundle from the likes of merlin etc. If you have a small cage mech as found on certain bikes you might need to change the mech too. for example some cheaper bikes with 28-12 will not take a 34-11 due to the capacity of the cage.

There are tables in the workshop but google rear mech capacity calculator.