Bagels

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
In response to a comment made by a delusional Kieran re anchovies and pizzas, I feel a bagel discussion is in order.

So, bagels - what's the point? If I want to eat stale, chewy bread, I can just leave a cheap crusty roll out all night and I end up pretty much with a bagel for much less money.

Granted, with the appropriate filling, a bagel can taste very nice indeed but that is down to the filling - not the bagel. The same filling would taste much better in proper, non stale bread.

Discuss......
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    There is no point to a bagel, half of it is missing and the only suitable "filling" (which is impossible anyway due to half of it being missing) is cream cheese.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    If you buy your bagels fresh at the bakery where they are made then they aren't stale. Most supermarket bagels unfortunately are far from fresh, but mercifully are revived a little by toasting.

IMHO cream cheese, salmon, a little lemon juice and freshly ground pepper taste great in a bagel. Bread just isn't the same - you need the firmness of the bagel to contain all that soft filling.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    corshamjim wrote:
    If you buy your bagels fresh at the bakery where they are made then they aren't stale. Most supermarket bagels unfortunately are far from fresh, but mercifully are revived a little by toasting.

IMHO cream cheese, salmon, a little lemon juice and freshly ground pepper taste great in a bagel. Bread just isn't the same - you need the firmness of the bagel to contain all that soft filling.
    +1
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You obviously haven't got 'friends' who have weird haircuts and talk about brick lane a lot.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    You obviously haven't got 'friends' who have weird haircuts and talk about brick lane a lot.

Or who wear red jeans.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rick_chasey

Or who wear red jeans.

smugrt.png
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426

Or who wear red jeans.

smugrt.png

That ticks all three.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • daviesee wrote:
    corshamjim wrote:

+1
    +lots... my favourite snack.. :lol:

Proper bagels (alternately and more correctly spelt 'beigel' IMHO as a better transliteration of the Yiddish and pronounced buy-gel rather than the Amercian bay-gel) are boiled before baking and should be crisp on the outside and pillowy soft inside. Commercially made ones sold in supermarkets are steamed en-route to the oven. It just not the same. Buy freshly baked ones from a real Jewish bakery (or better still home baked as my grandmother used to do) and you'll see the difference. The hole was an aid to transportation where they originated in 15/16thC Poland; they could be carried on poles around the town to be sold.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    So, they are actually edible if eaten no more than 30 seconds after baking? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    So, they are actually edible if eaten no more than 30 seconds after baking? :lol:
    :lol: well thats often the best way, but a decent bagel will last a couple of days and can be rejuvenated by dunking in water and a quick blast in the microwave...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The hole was an aid to transportation where they originated in 15/16thC Poland; they could be carried on poles around the town to be sold.

Is that why the country is called Poleland?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Best Bagel Filling.........Bacon and a fried egg. It is better than in a normal roll, especially when toasted.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    We just made a batch of raisin and cinnamon bagels (proper water-boiled ones) and had two or three with some coffee for breakfast. A great start to the day.

My jeans are skinny, but not red. I go to Hackney and Brick Lane to laugh at the Hipsters.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Ben6899 wrote:
    We just made a batch of raisin and cinnamon bagels (proper water-boiled ones) and had two or three with some coffee for breakfast. A great start to the day.

My jeans are skinny, but not red. I go to Hackney and Brick Lane to laugh at the Hipsters.

There is a lot of hooha about a bakery on Brick Lane that does bagals.

It reminds me of the grotty bits of GTA4.

Apparently it's amazing.

I couldn't bring myself to eat anything there.