Full Face Helmets

kieron_67
kieron_67 Posts: 161
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hello guys

How many of you wear full face helmets and what sort of riding style do you do?

Cheers

Comments

• yep. when on the DH/FR/Playbike.

I'f i'm doing xc 1st, then DH, I'll attach the FF to my trail pack and ride in the piss pot until I reach the good stuff :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If I'm pushing up or uplifting, I'll usually take the full face, but not if I'm riding up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I use a full face for downhill, regular lid for XC and everything in between.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    As above
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DH, FR, DS and 4X get full-face, trad xc lid for everything else...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Trail lid for everything.even in the Chatel bike park last year. I can't bear the heat.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Full face for DH & freeride. Normal helmet for xc. If I'm riding DH & pedalling up then I just ride the climb without a helmet & wear a full face for the descent.
    I have seen people riding xc in a full face, their choice but I think its OTT and just makes it uncomfortable. I did once wear a full face & goggles for a night xc ride when it was -12C
  • bennett_346
    And whatever you do don't get a MET Parachute. Worst of all worlds
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    I have both and pick and choose depending on where I go.

I love wearing my top lid (Fox Flux) but I take my full face for some of the bigger places like Glentress.

My friends always wear full face lids to all the centers we go. We ride Red / Black routes - Hamsterly, Glentress, Kielder, Newcastleton ect..
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    If I'm pushing up or uplifting, I'll usually take the full face, but not if I'm riding up.

Pretty much this apart from for things like sprint training.

Don't think what others wear should affect your decision, you even considering getting one would suggest you should get one, even if you don't use it all the time. Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it and all that.
  • Northwind

Not so much. Anyone expecting full-face protection is likely to be disappointed but they do exactly what they say on the tin. Not a fan myself but there's nothing much wrong with them.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    Northwind wrote:

Not so much. Anyone expecting full-face protection is likely to be disappointed but they do exactly what they say on the tin. Not a fan myself but there's nothing much wrong with them.
    I fail to see how the chinpiece would do anything for you in a crash except either splinter into your face or twist your neck giving you spine injuries.

For the silly money they ask for one would be far better off with an urge type helmet.

I think so, anyway.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:

I fail to see how the chinpiece would do anything for you in a crash except either splinter into your face or twist your neck giving you spine injuries.

You are thinking of it in the wrong way IMO, it is not for big impacts which only a proper full face will be useful for, it's for those little knocks that can cause a bit of damage to your face but could easily be avoided by having a guard there. How is it any different to a full face with twisting your neck?

I know someone that had one and really liked it, was comfy and did protect him better than just an XC helmet. He normally used it without the chin guard in place (which is something most helmets can't do) but he used it for going to France and places where you had to ride up a lot but the descents could easily warrant a full face in his opinion. He never said it was a replacement for a proper full face but was better than an open face XC helmet.
  • Northwind

Then you've not used one or seen one used, I reckon. A mate of mine managed to put his face into a fence at glentress, hard enough to grind a huge chunk off the jawbone and knock the fence down, he's glad he was wearing it... And bought another to replace it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chuck808
    chuck808 Posts: 1
    i, noob alert.

I am involved in the BMX Race world through my son, over the years there have been plenty of new tracks built and they are getting faster and more tech. When I used to take him to the local track 7 years ago (he was 4) he always had a helmet whilste the non-racer kids either had a potty or nothing. Unfortunately we have see way too many smashed faces and sadly even a death of 17 year old couple of years ago, for me to allow him to ride without a helmet.

However, over the last few years there are more and more kids wearing a full-face helmet, even riding to school - this has to be a good thing. The youngsters are are watching local heros that are fast and protected and and no longer think it nerdy to wear a lid. Also, DH, XC, 4X, Verts etc are now wearing them due to speed and difficulty of tricks, this is all filtering down to the kids. Helmets are on their way to being kool.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    occasionally for very long downs if i want to go as fast as i can.

the downside is that i cant live with them on any sort of prolonged up, so end up sans helmet for half the ride with is stuck to my back (unless its minus 10 or similar)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Parachute is OK for the sort of crash you might have trail riding and deflecting low-flying branches and trail debris. Probably more of a psychological prop than anything else but it feels good without the gnar of a full-face.

I wear a ff at Stile Cop. It feels good at the start esp with goggles and it puts me in the right frame of mind. Also wear it for trail riding during the winter I feel a bit conspicuous but hey ho it's cosy and comfortable.

I think there's a market for a trail ff - a sub-500g extremely well-ventilated ff that actually works in the event of a crash but is comfortable enough to wear for trail riding.
  • At the moment I have an urge enduromatic, which is great for the majority of riding I do (trails and a bit of downhill), but I am getting more into DH and am thinking about getting a specialized deviant 2 as it has quite a few vents so you don't get to hot if your doing more than just downhill but is quite a lot more protective than the enduromatic.
    Specialized Hardrock 06
    On One 456 Summer Season 2010 neon orange!

“…get it in your head, then there’s nothing else important for the next couple of hours than getting that particular line done…” – Danny MacAskill
  • Northwind
    Mmm, I thought the same about the deviant til a shop let me go for a run round teh block with it on- it's not as sweaty as a regular fullface but I still wouldn't consider one for everyday riding, still gravity only IMO.
    Uncompromising extremist