Tow bar carrier for 3 hardtails

SimonStylites
SimonStylites Posts: 6
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
After much dithering I've decided to go for a tow bar mounted carrier.
Alas, I've noticed a number of reviews of various Thule 3-bike models suggesting that it's a struggle for 3 adult hardtails.
My son and daughter's bikes are quite new and unmarked, and whilst I know that one day they will suffer damage on the trail I see no point in having them needlessly bashed about on a rack.
Can anyone share their experience of Thule 3-bike models. I've also seen this 4-bike carrier which might be better? http://www.towequipe.co.uk/products/970501-thule-bolton-towbar-cycle-bike-carrier-9705-4-bike-pandp.html?gclid=CInMhpC7nq8CFUsMtAod6DOyZg Also this Halfords 4-bike rack http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_804901_langId_-1_categoryId_165515
Thanks

Comments

• That's a great rack, infact I have one for sale if you are interested.
  • ianrams
    ianrams Posts: 51
    I use a Thule 9503 which handles three hardtails fine. I use a small piece of pipe insulation near any parts that may rub though I've had no issues.
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    I've got the 9503 too. It takes 3 adult bikes fine, you just need to be careful how far forward/back you place them in the wheel suports to make sure there's no rub. Highly recommend the carrier and I've converted at least 3 friends to them once they saw how easy it is to fix to the car and how quickly the bikes can be mounted.

HTH

Jim
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • Thanks for all your replies; they've been very helpful and reassuring.
    I'm probably going to get the Thule 9503 or similar: I've had it with protruding arms, swinging bikes and a sore back, so the platform style looks good if a bit expensive!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have the Halfords 4 bike rack, the cheaper non folding one for £150 (folding is less storage space but £100 more), it appears to be made by Thule as some of the parts are identical (like the 'cups' the tyres sit in), it works great for 4 bikes and I'm really happy with it, I just have to make sure to stagger the bikes with handlebars on the same side one slightly forward, one slightly rearward as they overlap, which is easy to do as the wheel straps are away from the contact point towards the middle so tightening one pulls the bike the other way a bit (just like the Thule obvicously).
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165477

Reduced to £135 right now (I paid less with staff discount so not too concerned!)

Having compared it to a Thule in the car park at Cannock I wouldn't pay the extra for the few differences to be honest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I also have the Thule 9503. Great rack & easy to use....did manage to take some paint off the lower leg of my front forks when I forgot to use some pipe lagging between the bikes I was carrying last week though. :? If you can remember to take sensible padding precautions it's safe as houses....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...