forks on chainring seem to be breaking?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
i realised i needed to clean the bike after the rain the other day. i realised while cleaning the chain etc that a good number of the forks on the chainring seem to have broken off, not totally but are not as long as they were. it certainly wasn't all of them, i also think its odd since i don't use the big ring that much. if honest i didn't really inspect the smaller ring. is this a pretty normal thing to happen?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    A chainring's tynes are not all the same shape, and some people often think they are breaking, some are shaped differently to help with shifting - I suspect this is all it is.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    oh thank you, plus thank you for giving me the right terminology lol i was a bit worried for a moment!
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jibberjim wrote:
    A chainring's tynes are not all the same shape, and some people often think they are breaking, some are shaped differently to help with shifting - I suspect this is all it is.

The chainring really shouldn't have any Northeastern rivers on it! And it probably shouldn't have any tines on it either; best keep those on forks and rakes - I think simple teeth are more appropriate for dragging chains round.

As for the funny teeth - look behind them and you should see the ramps that go with them; all to help aid smooth shifting :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Can you post a picture of said chainring just to be sure?