So you lot in the south east

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Will you be hastling the water companies for a rebate on your water bills being as they can't supply you with a proper service?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Luckily for me, I now live in the North-east, no water water worries up here! When will the goverment and water companies wake up and build some de-salination plants? After all, we're surrounded by water, whats the problem? Oh, I know, it's money! :x
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    byke68 wrote:
    When will the goverment and water companies wake up and build some de-salination plants? After all, we're surrounded by water, whats the problem? Oh, I know, it's money! :x

What's the government got to do with it - they privatised the water industry :wink:

Desalination is rather inefficient though Anglian Water are dabbling a bit irrc. Still, if the folk from that London want to pay for it, I daresay they can have it! Less useage in the first place is a lot more sensible.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mallinov
    mallinov Posts: 143
    we just won't wash as much. Bit like you lot.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Tell you what, the South East (or 'the country' as the media insists on calling you) you can have our spare water but we need some compensation for the inconvenience of being rained on, on your behalf. what are you going to pay us for it? tax rebates? migrate some jobs our way? equal pay for teachers and nurses etc up here when the differential pay kicks in?

Is it just me that thinks its pretty shabby and utterly self indulgent of the London based BBC 10 o'clock news to make a hosepipe ban their top story and devote the first 8 minutes of the program to it, relegating : the 7 year detention and possible extradition without trial of a terror suspect, an ever widening net of apparent police racism, the criminal hacking of emails by Sky TV and the significant tax & benefit changes kicking in tomorrow for hundreds of thousands of families - these stories got 3-5 minutes before it came back to the hospeipe ban. National news for the south and east.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I'd rather have a rebate from British gas as they can't seem to heat my house comfortably, despite paying them an amount that would constitute a salary to many.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Tell you what, the South East (or 'the country' as the media insists on calling you) you can have our spare water but we need some compensation for the inconvenience of being rained on, on your behalf. what are you going to pay us for it? tax rebates? migrate some jobs our way? equal pay for teachers and nurses etc up here when the differential pay kicks in?

Is it just me that thinks its pretty shabby and utterly self indulgent of the London based BBC 10 o'clock news to make a hosepipe ban their top story and devote the first 8 minutes of the program to it, relegating : the 7 year detention and possible extradition without trial of a terror suspect, an ever widening net of apparent police racism, the criminal hacking of emails by Sky TV and the significant tax & benefit changes kicking in tomorrow for hundreds of thousands of families - these stories got 3-5 minutes before it came back to the hospeipe ban. National news for the south and east.

It's the fuck1ng BBC, so stop paying your license fee and stop watching the shite. I have and I've lived in the south east all my life so god knows why you northerners still bother with it....unless you are as daft as the BBC stereotypes make us believe?

As for original bait/question....if you are metered how can you ask for a rebate for something you've never been charged for??
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    TBH I'm not quite sure if I'm actually affected, I pay both Severn Trent and Anglian, one to provide and one to remove.

Anglian have a ban, Severn Trent don't, so theoretically I am paying Anglian to take away something they have banned me from using. I would say I would go and syphon some out of the reservoir but it's looking a tad like a paddling pool.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Frank the tank
    You may not use the water but, your supplier is telling you they can't really supply you with enough water should you use a hose pipe. Bit like the gas company trying to tell you you'll face legal action if you have an old inefficent boiler! They'll supply as much gas as you chose to waste, as a water user it should be your perogative to use a hose pipe or not.
    Tail end Charlie

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Damn, that means I have to wash the car.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    You may not use the water but, your supplier is telling you they can't really supply you with enough water should you use a hose pipe. Bit like the gas company trying to tell you you'll face legal action if you have an old inefficent boiler! They'll supply as much gas as you chose to waste, as a water user it should be your perogative to use a hose pipe or not.

Well if that is the arguement then no, I won't be complaining to Anglian water as I really don't feel not being able to wash my car is a massive infringement of my human rights. In fact it's a bloody good excuse to avoid such a chore.
  • rolf_f

You aren't actually limited in how much water you can use - just how you use it. People using buckets to wash their car or water their lawn end up using far less water to achieve much the same thing. The hosepipe ban is a pragmatic solution that doesn't really affect most people significantly - not being able to turn your lawn into a paddy field is hardly the 3rd world situation some people would like to think it is. And we do use more water than most (Americans aside).

And the gas company analogy doesn't work unless you have hosepipes welded to all of your taps!
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    And no mention of the reasons behind the "lack of water"
    11% more people, due to immigration
    £65billion spent on meeting largely useless EU regulations.
    Big profit taking my the (foreign!) owners.
    http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=82438
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • rolf_f

Oddly enough, the lack of water has nothing to do with the number of people in the country but lots to do with the fact that we've had two dry winters meaning that groundwater supplies are now very low as well as the reservoirs and rivers (levels are now in many cases lower than they were at this time in 1976). The number of people in the country doesn't really affect the rainfall :wink:

And I really wouldn't spend so much time reading that Beano blog. It's pretty poor quality stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Probably got more to do with unusually low levels of rain and all those water-leaks I keep walking past on my way to work.

Then again, it's scary world out there Adam. I mean, people not born on this island? I bet they're all plotting your downfall. Their hospitality and good food is just a ruse to lure you in...
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134

Hi adam, Fred from the newsagents asked me to contact you he says sorry your Daily Mail was late today, the new lad got lost on the delivery(probably one of them foreigners tsk)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Frank the tank
    Rolf F wrote:

You aren't actually limited in how much water you can use - just how you use it. People using buckets to wash their car or water their lawn end up using far less water to achieve much the same thing. The hosepipe ban is a pragmatic solution that doesn't really affect most people significantly - not being able to turn your lawn into a paddy field is hardly the 3rd world situation some people would like to think it is. And we do use more water than most (Americans aside).

And the gas company analogy doesn't work unless you have hosepipes welded to all of your taps!

The gas analogy does work as the water companies imply that hosepipe use is wasteful as is an inefficient gas boiler.Anyway, I'm off to wash the car, water the grass and fill the paddling pool for the youngsters. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• rolf_f
    The gas analogy does work as the water companies imply that hosepipe use is wasteful as is an inefficient gas boiler.Anyway, I'm off to wash the car, water the grass and fill the paddling pool for the youngsters. :wink:

Hosepipes do use more water to achieve the same end - that's the whole point. All the ban does is mean you can do what you want as before (mostly) but it is a bit more hassle to do it.

Anyway, carry on filling your paddling pool, washing the car and watering the grass. Hopefully you'll be doing it responsibly with a bucket. If you are being an idiot and using a hosepipe, all of us in the North can laugh at you when a) you get prosecuted and b) end up with no mains water supply and standpipes in the street like 76. :wink:

PS just because we've already had two dry winters, doesn't mean that this winter is any less likely to be dry. If you think you have hassle now, just wait til this time next year if we don't get a lot of rain between now and then......
  • Frank the tank
    Rolf F wrote:

Hosepipes do use more water to achieve the same end - that's the whole point. All the ban does is mean you can do what you want as before (mostly) but it is a bit more hassle to do it.

Anyway, carry on filling your paddling pool, washing the car and watering the grass. Hopefully you'll be doing it responsibly with a bucket. If you are being an idiot and using a hosepipe, all of us in the North can laugh at you when a) you get prosecuted and b) end up with no mains water supply and standpipes in the street like 76. :wink:

PS just because we've already had two dry winters, doesn't mean that this winter is any less likely to be dry. If you think you have hassle now, just wait til this time next year if we don't get a lot of rain between now and then......

I think if you look at a map of GB I'm not located where the ban is. Although in fairness it would not tell you which water company supply me. :D
    Tail end Charlie

• rolf_f
    I think if you look at a map of GB I'm not located where the ban is. Although in fairness it would not tell you which water company supply me. :D

It may only be a matter of time!..... I'm assuming you are supplied by Severn-Trent Water.
  • Frank the tank
    Rolf F wrote:

It may only be a matter of time!..... I'm assuming you are supplied by Severn-Trent Water.

I fear you're right.
    Tail end Charlie