Advice for a beginner

MonkFunk
MonkFunk Posts: 91
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Just starting up and will be picking up a Rockrider 8.1 next week. I'm really excited and have been reading lots of beginner guides etc but I was after some advice..........

I see that it comes with SPD pedals and as a total novice, I'm a bit unsure what to do as I have never used them before. As well as going out on my own I will be using the bike for gentle family rides (with my 18mth old on the back) so that also makes me worried about being clipped in.

So.......Should I give them a go and try to get used to them or just swap the pedals for flats straight away? At this stage I have no serious ambitions - just riding for fun/fitness. If I do swap them, will Decathlon be able to do it there and then? And what should I be looking for in a flat pedal? Any recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If you use them you need a shoe that will allow you to clip into the pedal,

swap them for flats straight away then once your more confident/used to the bike think about it again.

It fairly easy to swap them over, welligo do some decent cheap flats.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd swap them, you will topple over. Decathlon should be able to sort it out then and there, two minute job.
    Some decent flats - Wellgo are good and have a large variety, but as a temporary measure, anything really if you are just taking it easy.
    Pair of these - cheap and good.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19214
    Pair of these if you want nice and light - you'll find them cheaper on Ebay probably
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44059
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    When you pick it up, pretty sure they will do you a striaght swop for some flats gratis.

If they do grumble, just say it's not safe to ride as is (which it's really not if fitted with SPDs and you use non-SPD shoes)
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    If you're carrying the little one then go flats but do keep the spd's and give it a go. I've only had a couple of clipped in rides on my new 9.1 and its felt revolutionary and i cant believe i have waited so long to try it. I was worried about the falling but the guy in decathlon just said to keep the tension low making it easier to un clip. I'm off to do some proper riding at swinley forest tomorrow and hopefully will still love spd's afterwards.
  • snowjho wrote:
    If you're carrying the little one then go flats but do keep the spd's and give it a go. I've only had a couple of clipped in rides on my new 9.1 and its felt revolutionary and i cant believe i have waited so long to try it. I was worried about the falling but the guy in decathlon just said to keep the tension low making it easier to un clip. I'm off to do some proper riding at swinley forest tomorrow and hopefully will still love spd's afterwards.

Exactly the same, I had my spd's for the first time at swinley the othe day! Mucking loved it, so much more power up the hills, it was awesome! Only had one comedy moment as well! Big thing with those is to just think I'm going over and relax! Cos it is really funny!
  • MonkFunk
    MonkFunk Posts: 91
    Thanks guys.

Think I'll get them to swap for flats but will keep the spd's to trial at a later date
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As said, start on some cheap flats, get confidence and go SPD later if you want to, otherwise they sell quite well anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have just bought an 8.1. Decathlon staff were extremely helpful and will change the pedals no problem. They will give you the spds anyway and some cleats so if you decide to clip in later on you have saved yourself twenty quid. You will also get a six week service where they pretty much talk you through all the working bits. I may have been lucky with the staff at wednesbury decathlon but I have heard similar about the Surrey Quays staff as well. Good luck, it's a great bike