White wheels... or stick with black?

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Ok... I know this has been going on a while and I was all ready to get some open pro's on hope hubs, but after going to a bike shop and seeing and feeling how well they spin (or how they don't more to the point) I like the look of the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe that were next to them. The hub on these also seemed to have less resistance and spin more freely.

If I was to go for these do you think white would look good or a little OTT. You don't really see many road bikes with white wheels.

Just interested in peoples opinions, here's a pic of the bike they'll be going on. Cheers.

029-1.jpg
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I wouldn't put too much into a spin test on the fingers. Sometimes a hub can be slightly over tightened (and easily adjusted), others may be packed with a bit more grease (that will free up in no time), whilst others use cartridge bearings that often have a little more free spinning resistance (that quickly disappears on the bike). For me, a spin test is used to judge smoothness (I don't want to feel anything grainy, etc.).

If just going for bling, it might be worth going for white wheels/black tyres rather than the other way around though, much more likely to stay that way when mucky.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    + the hopes are probably better sealed which will cause a bit more friction, it won't make the wheels slower to ride though (at least not enough that it's worth factoring in).
    As for colour, personally I'd stick with black wheels, white can look OK but it certainly stands out so depends on the look you want (bling vs understated).
    Also, get some proper pedals, nice bike though ;)
  • Black - white just gets grubby too quick
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you're a boy racer or a mamil then go for white, otherwise stick with black.
    More problems but still living....
  • charliew87
    charliew87 Posts: 371
    I have white wheels and think they look top notch. They only get dirty if you're out riding in mud, they clean to pristine white no trouble and they look bloody good with my black & white Bianchi.

As with everything Road-Cycling a lot of people get on their high horses and turn their nose up at the thought of them, or a helmet with a peak on the front, or wearing MTB shoes, or not wearing lycra etc...

if you like it then do it.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • andy46
    amaferanga wrote:

I'm definitely not a boy racer, into my 30's and drive a small cheap Hyundai :lol:

What is a mamil :?: It doesn't sound good :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• I think black mavics would look great, that's what I would go for.
  • A mamil is middle aged man in lycra.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    amaferanga wrote:

Or ride a MTB or BMX
  • andy46
    A mamil is middle aged man in lycra.

This made me laugh :lol:

I'll be going for black wheels after thinking about it and looking at more bike shops today.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    White...........

189385-picture-posts-your-orbea-bike-054.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=189390&stc=1&d=1264611425
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • andy46
    Aggieboy wrote:
    White...........

189385-picture-posts-your-orbea-bike-054.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=189390&stc=1&d=1264611425

Can't see your pic's I'll wait and see. I'm watching a couple of sets on eBay, some Ksyrium Elites and some Cosmic Elites though I may let them go.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL