All Mountain bike - best buy.

ThePriory1978
ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Am after advise as to which is the best bike -
I want it all on zero budget so it has to be able to cope with Wales abuse, Cwmcarn runs, also be light and pedal proficient to cope with cross-country jaunts and lots of climbing around SH and Swinley without bobbing around.

I'm trimming down my options to these exact models:
Reign_2.jpg

trek-remedy-7-mountain-bike-64563.jpg

mf11279_2011_enduro_fsr_comp_blkwht.jpg

I really want a Nukeproof Mega but the fact I cant find one to sit on, let alone test, its over budget and the I don't think it'll pedal up well means that's a no.

Also looked at BMC and Rose.

Any words of advise as to which is best.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    One of them YT Industries ones?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I have the Reign and its a fantastic bike although mine is not of the peg,

DodgeT has the Stumpy which is a fair bit lighter than the Reign but just dosn't feel planted enough for me, very skippy but that could just be the setup or me.

Can't comment on the Trek
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For anti bob/anti squat charateristics the Giant has the best sus.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    1mancity2 wrote:
    I have the Reign and its a fantastic bike although mine is not of the peg,

DodgeT has the Enduro which is a fair bit lighter than the Reign but just dosn't feel planted enough for me, very skippy but that could just be the setup or me.

Can't comment on the Trek

FTFY :)

Have the expert and it is a real good all rounder. Although haven't rode the other 2, (apart from a very brief go on the above reign) so couldn't comment on those.

I had wanted a remedy for a while, then had a good blast on a fuel EX (couldn't find a remedy to demo) and didn't like it at all. Saw the spesh, tried it and loved it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have the Reign X which is the bigger AM/FR version of the reign. It's awesome, pedals amazingly well for a bike with 170mm travel & coil suspension. I use mine for everything from XC to downhill.
    I have a couople mates with Mega's & have met quite a few others with them & they have nearly all broke the frame. There is nothing special about the Mega, it's just CRC's on brand, bargain AM bike.
    The Rose Uncle Jimbo is really nice to ride & great spec for the money.
  • Not liking the YT Industries bikes, big bang for buck and all that, but i just dont like the 'look' of them. Very teenager imo.

The Rose Uncle Jimbo looks nice but i think i'm inbetween sizes with the Medium being an 18.5" and of course i cant try before i buy....
    I ideally need a 17-18"

Good to hear the good suspension opinions on the Reign. Dual pivot i guess. Parts can be replaced but the frame will always remain.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • styxd
    Not liking the YT Industries bikes, big bang for buck and all that, but i just dont like the 'look' of them. Very teenager imo.

Worrying about the "look" of a mountain bike sounds like precisesly the sort of thing a teenager would do.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not really, I wouldn't want to own/ride a bike I thought was gopping, especially as there's no need to these days with so many good looking bikes about that are top performers to.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Spesh Enduro.....a chap I ride with has one and despite the travel it seems to flow very well on XC outings, his is the S-works mind.....

+1, enough good looking good bikes to have to buy a Munter (adding that I actually like the way an Orange 5 looks....I'll get my tin hat)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • styxd
    I think most "all mountain bikes" arent particularly good looking, they all look very similar. I dont see why the "image" is a problem, they're all about the uncoolest style of bike available, expecially when they''re used for mincing round swinley forest.

I'd put up with a bike I didnt like the look of if it got me a spec list as good as one of the YT's.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I'm the opposite, if I didn't like the look of it I wouldn't consider it.

No one wants an missus that's an awesome cook etc if she's a right moose!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    The YT does look a bit chavvy. I'd go for the Reign.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm the opposite, if I didn't like the look of it I wouldn't consider it.

No one wants an missus that's an awesome cook etc if she's a right moose!
    Not really an issue unless you are shagging your bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools