Tyres for 150mm trail bike - Hans Dampf? Nobby's?

agg25
agg25 Posts: 619
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Still sorting out what tyre to whack on the new 150mm trail bike on it's way, heard good reports about the Hans Dampf in that it's mega grippy, but didn't want to be too bogged down by it's weight.

Nobby's I'm used to but have not tried the new Gatestar compound Snakeskin jobbies, which were developed for extra grip for 4x racing. Could be a winner as well. Have limited it to 2 or I'll go mad at all the choices but maybe there's one "in-betweener" that I'm missing.

The Hans weighs in at 760g compared to about 580 or so for the Nobbys.
If money were no object I guess I'd get the Hans for Scotland/more rugged terrain and have the Nobbys for tamer trails...

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/all-mountain/nobby-nic/
http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/all-mountain/hans-dampf/

Anyone got any opinions?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I have some NNs in Evo compound. They suck. I also have some HDs in Trailstar, and they are pretty good, although still very sucky on wet/slippy rocks & roots (hey, what tyres aren't?). TBH the HDs are so much bigger and tougher than the NNs I think the extra weight is worth it aside from the grip advantage.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The only Schwalbes I've found that grip are those with the Vertstar compound or the bigger sizes with Snakeskin sidewalls that allow lower pressures without deforming. Trailstar is roughly 60a compound and while they are OK on the back if you use them on the front they will have you on your ear the first time you show them a corner.

The Gatestars might be OK if they use Vertstar rubber for the shoulders.
  • benpinnick
    .blitz wrote:
    igger sizes with Snakeskin sidewalls that allow lower pressures without deforming.

The Gatestars might be OK if they use Vertstar rubber for the shoulders.

Thats what I like about the HDs - The sidewalls on them make the Snakeskins look a little weedy. The HDs are super burly, almost DH tyres.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • .blitz
    Agreed. Nics are light for a reason (paper-thin carcass) but adding Snakeskin and Double Defence makes them no different to any other middleweight trail tyre.
  • agg25
    Hmm, ok got me swinging towards the HD then. The Gatestars use a new compound for the shoulders which is supposed to make them super grippy, and they're lighter...but if I can get over the bit extra weight of the HD I think they might be the way to go...coming from a XC background I'm still a bit shy of the extra weight but I guess you shouldnt scrimp in some areas.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Just got some of the Freeride carcass Muddy Mary's really loving them.

You can get the softer DH compound up front, there is a small weight penalty vs the hans. but oh my god they grip! there like super glue to the ground I'm currently slightly in love with them!
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I'm trying to decide between Hans Dampf or a Maxxis combo like Minion/High Roller. Might end up just flipping a coin as I've no idea how to decide.
  • .blitz
    Minions roll a bit faster than HRs but HRs are ultimately more grippy.

60a DHF folding Minion is ~850g.

The money-no-object 3C folder has speed & grip but the transition from the 70a centre compound to the 42a middle compound is not as predictable as the single compound Minions. ST Minions grip/drag everywhere.
  • milko9000
    Yeah that's all good thanks (actually I thought the Minion was the more grippy?) - but what about compared to a Schwalbe HD? I ride Nobby Nic evos at the moment but while I'm reasonably happy with them I've not had much to compare it with.
  • benpinnick
    Milko, if I see you on Sunday you can borrow my HDs for a test ride.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • milko9000
    ooh, thanks! That'd certainly help. I'm still on for the ride.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Gatestars seem like a great option tbh, I love the way the nics roll so well, but abit more cornering grip would be ace. I've found that they cope really well with wet rocks/roots if you get the pressure right, which on the normal, non-snakeskin ones is quite small a window. the snakeskin protection should help with this, and the supersoft compound should in theory make them corner on rails, seeing as personally I think they're quite good any way, and they really are a very, very hard compound!
  • milko9000
    Thanks Ben. Was impressed by the (giant) HD, felt like I had tractor tyres on. Gripped impressively around a damp Surrey Hills.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    lawman wrote:
    Gatestars seem like a great option tbh, I love the way the nics roll so well, but abit more cornering grip would be ace. I've found that they cope really well with wet rocks/roots if you get the pressure right, which on the normal, non-snakeskin ones is quite small a window. the snakeskin protection should help with this, and the supersoft compound should in theory make them corner on rails, seeing as personally I think they're quite good any way, and they really are a very, very hard compound!

just fitted some Nobbys to my bike, could you give us some idea's as to the best pressure's you've found. i normally run all tyres around 26-32psi, would this be too low for the Nics??
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • lawman
    sweetspot is around 30-35psi, they are good all year round, not so strong in the depths winter but overall leaving them around 30psi front, 35 rear should about right, slightly lower if you run them with tubes :)
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    lower with tubes?? the opposite of what i expected. but no worries as im running tubeless anyways. thanks matey, ill go with 30 and have a see what i think.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • lawman
    the problem with running them tubeless is the thin sidewalls, they offer very little in way if support, and tend to fold over at lower pressures, running them tubed gives them a little more support thanks to the tube itself, or atleast thats what I've found and felt when cornering. One example is a trip i made to dalby last year, i did a whole lap of the world cup course on just 20psi in the front with tubes, with no issues. at cannock running tubeless at about 25 psi, they just rolled all over the place. the snakeskin nics should be alot better for this, one of the main reasons I'll probably get the gatestar's before long, I'll need to change the sealant soon anyway :)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    .blitz wrote:
    Minions roll a bit faster than HRs but HRs are ultimately more grippy.
    You have that the wrong way around, unless you're riding super hardpack stuff (and even then high rollers roll faster).

I run Maxxis Advantage 2.25 both ends most of the time on my AM/trail bike. I sometimes stick a supertacky Minion on the front for wet techy rides, but that's once in a blue moon. The Advantage has plenty of grip if you just run it a bit lower PSI than usual on the front.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • agg25
    Well, went for the Hans Dampfs, €65 for a pair from bike-discount.de but might get a set of Nobby's later for the less knarly stuff.