Renshaw and Bos

bigmat
bigmat Posts: 5,134
edited April 2012 in Pro race
Is Renshaw going to be riding as lead out for Bos?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bos-ren ... heldeprijs

I am really depressed on his behalf if that turns out to be the case, talk about a failed bid for individual glory... :cry:

Hopefully its just part of the whole team bonding exercise and he'll get more chances as the season progresses. Otherwise, you really wonder why he didn't just stick with Cav?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    BigMat wrote:

I am really depressed on his behalf if that turns out to be the case, talk about a failed bid for individual glory... :cry:

Hopefully its just part of the whole team bonding exercise and he'll get more chances as the season progresses. Otherwise, you really wonder why he didn't just stick with Cav?

Rabobank are sh!t.

Rule of thumb, if you're not spanish and riding for Rabobank, you probably won't win anything.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Was thinking what has happened with Renshaw.

Think he's regretting now not following Cav and bernie to Sky?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Does sound a little weird as you have to assume that Sky would have paid a massive sum for him to move over to be with Cav. Can only guess that he went elsewhere on the promise of being the main sprint man? Unless the team are giving him certain races and expecting him to be lead out for others in the team on other races.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Unless the team are giving him certain races and expecting him to be lead out for others in the team on other races.

My initial thoughts too.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    BigMat wrote:

Rabobank are sh!t.

Rule of thumb, if you're not spanish and riding for Rabobank, you *probably* won't win anything.

That's very informative, as I didn't know Boom, Bos, Menchov, Gesink, the two Dekker's and *probably* Rasmussen are Spanish!

Yes, I also was surprised to read that Renshaw was wrestled into a lead-out position.
  • rick_chasey
    skylla wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Rabobank are sh!t.

Rule of thumb, if you're not spanish and riding for Rabobank, you *probably* won't win anything.

That's very informative, as I didn't know Boom, Bos, Menchov, Gesink, the two Dekker's and *probably* Rasmussen are Spanish!

Yes, I also was surprised to read that Renshaw was wrestled into a lead-out position.

What did Boom win recently? Tour of Britain? I'm blown away.

Menchov's not been there for ages.

Gesink's barely won anything, and 1 Dekker retired a long long time ago and the other got busted with the juice, alongside Rasmussen, and they were both ages ago too!
  • rick_chasey
    LLS Sanchez, Freire, and Garate are the only riders who have had *significant* wins for Rabobank in the last 2-3 years.

Even Flecha, Rabo's other spanish hero started winning when he left Rabo.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    skylla wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Rabobank are sh!t.

What did Boom win recently? Tour of Britain? I'm blown away.

Menchov's not been there for ages.

Gesink's barely won anything, and 1 Dekker retired a long long time ago and the other got busted with the juice, alongside Rasmussen, and they were both ages ago too!

So perhaps let's rephrase: If you're not Spanish, *not go by the name of Marianne Vos* and *currently* riding for the rabobank *ProTeam* you probably won't win anything *apart from Omloop, ToB, Oman and perhaps a stage in a grand tour if you push it*. Or something like that.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    The form Renshaw has been in i'm surprised he would even make an effective lead-out man.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    The form Renshaw has been in i'm surprised he would even make an effective lead-out man.

+1.
    I was looking forward to him blazing his own trail, and disappointed that he's shown little form (so far). He states that Turkey & The Giro are his next targets, I'd love to see him get off the mark.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Was he offered a contract with Sky, was it an option?
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    So perhaps let's rephrase: If you're not Spanish, *not go by the name of Marianne Vos* and *currently* riding for the rabobank *ProTeam* you probably won't win anything *apart from Omloop, ToB, Oman and perhaps a stage in a grand tour if you push it*. Or something like that.
    Rick, I think you are over-complicating the issue, let me clarify...

If you are Dutch, and not Gesink, you must not finish infront of Gesink.
    If you are non-Dutch, previously did well at another team and earned a lucrative contract with Rabobank, then relax for a couple of years and get an occasional top 20 finish to put on your CV for when you leave.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    RoyPSB wrote:
    Was he offered a contract with Sky, was it an option?

According to Cav he was.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Think Renshaw even said Sky offered him a contract. He opted for Rabo as he is suppse to have more chances of his own to contest sprints. Don't think his ever had that big of a kick. she ability has always been able to keep a high threshold speed going for the last 1.5km.

If you look at the chances his had to kick in the sprints it's not as explosive. Good positioning, balls of steel and a string entry speed before the spring is his only chance imo.

How could people rank him at getting over the lumpy stuff? I think his normally worse then Cav? Fair to say?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    He's certainly no better on the climbs than Cav, so is unlikely to be at the finish on any days that are too selective for the pure sprinters.

He's a good rider and I think he'll pick up a few wins by the end of the season, but probably only when the top guys are not racing or he just has a bit of good luck.

Rabobank does seem to be a funeral home for a lot of rider's ambitions though.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    Sprinters like Bos have a lead-out man these days?
  • rick_chasey
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Rick, I think you are over-complicating the issue, let me clarify...

If you are Dutch, and not Gesink, you must not finish infront of Gesink.
    If you are non-Dutch, previously did well at another team and earned a lucrative contract with Rabobank, then relax for a couple of years and get an occasional top 20 finish to put on your CV for when you leave.

Ridge has got the answer.

Then again, as the closest follower of Rabo on this forum, he should know.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    To be fair, the nearest thing Rabo had for a lead out train for Freire was the team coach to deliver him to the start line every morning.
    Half man, Half bike
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Perhaps this is where more than one HTC man gets found out in so much that the sum total was about all the parts ?

If Renshaw gets a look in surely it will be the TDF and that alone ?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Perhaps this is where more than one HTC man gets found out in so much that the sum total was about all the parts ?

I don't think that's a bad thing though. The whole point of HTC was that they made a great team that worked amazingly well together. It's not really about individual talent. If you think about it, it's no different to any other team game. Look at football, Torres was amazing at Liverpool but has sucked balls since his move to Chelsea.

I hope I'm making sense :(
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

I don't think that's a bad thing though. The whole point of HTC was that they made a great team that worked amazingly well together. It's not really about individual talent. If you think about it, it's no different to any other team game. Look at football, Torres was amazing at Liverpool but has sucked balls since his move to Chelsea.

I hope I'm making sense :(

Total sense. Everyone at HTC had a part to play in bringing Cavendish to the line. I'm guessing that you you could probably look back at their races ansd work out roughly who would be pulling the train at any particular point in the last few km's. We certainly knew who the penultimate rider was.

And there you have it. The trouble with Renshaw is that he doesn't have a Renshaw.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    How long was his contract with Rabobank? Is it inconceivable he could be at SKY next season?
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    rebs wrote:
    Think Renshaw even said Sky offered him a contract. He opted for Rabo as he is suppse to have more chances of his own to contest sprints. Don't think his ever had that big of a kick. she ability has always been able to keep a high threshold speed going for the last 1.5km.

If you look at the chances his had to kick in the sprints it's not as explosive. Good positioning, balls of steel and a string entry speed before the spring is his only chance imo.

How could people rank him at getting over the lumpy stuff? I think his normally worse then Cav? Fair to say?
    Think thats a bit unfair as there have been several sprints where HTC ended up one two where no one could come round, TDF PAris for one springs to mind so if he has no kick why did the sprinters not pass him? He must have a kick to reach the speeds the sprinters could not pass him at or are you saying sprinters can only pass him if the last 1km is slow allowoing them to kick past him ? :D
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Think about it. Renshaw has done a massive job before the 200/300 mark where he has put in a blistering speed where anyone following wheels clearly know before they get to the 200m mark they are beaten. The 1/2 has only happened a small amount of times. The TDF Stage21 you mention was more down to the high speed Renshaw laid down in the last 2 corners with a combination of Garmin really screwing up the leadout that disrupted many people behind them in the leadout. They had that 1-2 wrapped up before Cav needed to open up the spring... don't think he even needed to sprint to win.

Cav and Renshaw did 2(think it was 2?) 1-2 last year at the Tour of Britain (yes yes not quite the TDF is it :P) first was a good 1-2 the 2nd being where Renshaw one. Which was more down with everyone following Cav's wheel and left it too late to realise that Renshaw was going for the win.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    seriously? You really believed that they would favour Renshaw over Bos if they are riding in the same team?

Surely Renshaw knew he was going to be leading out Theo Bos on quite a few occasions. He cant be that big headed to really believe he was going to be the main man.

He will still get his own turn when Bos isnt riding, like he has done already this year.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012