Full suss or long travel Hardtail

bwfc4eva868
bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Looking to get something new for summer as i feel my Carrera Vulcan is holding me back a little on some descents. The use will be mainly trail riding on the moors round Rivi and Gisburn and Lee quarry.
Budget around £1000 to £1200 like the look of yhe Lapierre x control 210. But open to other options.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cutom built OnOne 456 carbon?
  • Ragley Blue Pig, I think that Ragley do most of their testing at Lee Quarry, long travel hard tail with slight zing to take out the harshness of the bumps.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have both and 99.9% of the time i choose the hardtail.. only time i tend to use the f/s is when i go to whistler.

we went up to scotland last week i decided to take the hardtail, i rode all the hard teccy bits.. even got a comment off a group of guys on there full sussers he's riding it on a hard tail, refaring to the qualifier and the slab at dalbeattie.
    i ride the same local trails as you and have used both my f/s and h/t.. as i said i tend to use the hardtail for ease of maintainence and cleaning..
    try see if you could demo a fullsusser and a long trav hardtail, to help sway you.
    i know leisurelakes had a demo day at lee quarry last sunday. and i heard ride on in rawtenstall have a place in the local woods were they let you demo. (i dont know how true it is)

i would go h/t one one 456,, cotic bfe,, ragley, santacruz chameleon, pace rc325, cove stiffie. to name a few..
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Have tried a full susser, Spesh Pitch and it felt great to ride on drop offs etc but i just found it wallowy in berms. I like the feedback from a Hardtail i think, but the vulcan feels really steep and on techy downhills i feel as if im gonna be over the bars even with the seat down.

If i was to go Hardtail which one? And would 120 to 130 mm give me the relaxed and less steep posistion im after?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    was the spesh set up for you,,, i mean the suspension (sag,rebound ect)

as for the hardtail, look at the geometry and get the slackest headtube angle.. there's always the angleset headset option to to slaken the frame a little more...
    as for travel i'd be going 150-160mm this should get a slack head angle and confidence inspiring geometry..
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Hardtail will do everthing your doing, I do all the drops, jumps on my jump bike at Lee which is a 100mm H/T, Full suss does give you more comfort.

Like SS says carbon 456, or as they other guys say Ragley, but there are loads Saracen Zen x, Giant Trance, Spesh, Trek, etc, etc

When you go up gizzy pop down to the pub and see Tim he has a few bikes in you could throw your leg over.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Had both, both fun, prefer the all day comfort of a FS so sold the HT.