What size seat post clamp

bwstokie
bwstokie Posts: 115
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

Just a quick question if I may before I have a search for a tape measure and go out into the wind and rain.

Looking to get a Hope QR seatpost clamp for my Marin Wolf Ridge 6.7 and just wondering what size I need. The seatpost is 30.9mm from memory so do I need a 31.8mm or 34.9mm? At a guess I'd say 34.9mm but just wondered if anyone knew. The standard clamp is pants and the seat keeps slipping.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Don't bother witha hope clamp. They are not much better.

Clamps normally say on the bottom what their size is they also commonly are the same size as the front mech.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is a 34.9mm. A Hope QR will not cure your problem.
  • bwstokie
    Any suggestions on how to fix the problem then guys?
  • supersonic
    Try some grease specifically designed to reduce clamping force, or buy a allen bolted clamp.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The clamp is rarely at fault; if the seatpost is an accurate fit in the seat tube very little clamping force is required.

If the above suggestions do not work try another seatpost - 0.1mm makes all the difference.
  • supersonic
    I find that badly designed clamps are often the problem - they simply do not allow the right force to get a good clamp. Some mechanisms I have seen are extremely poor.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    +1 for NOT a hope clamp. They are pretty bad. I have found the Santa Cruz one (14.99 from santacruzbikes.co.uk) is the best I have used in a loooonnnnnng time.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bwstokie
    Cheers for the advice chaps.

For what it's worth the seatpost is the stock post that came with the bike as new so the problem must be the seat post clamp. Can't really commit to a bolt through jobbie as need to be able to drop the seat as and when required.....think I'll order a Santa Cruz one for the interim until I can get hold of a Reverb.

Cheers

Lee
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Also, as per SS suggestions, a little bit or carbon paste can work wonders on a slipping post. A small sachet can normally be bought for peanuts from your local roadie orientated bike shop.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Often, lube on the QR part of the clamp (where friction is generated) can make a lot of difference! Try it, you might find that you haven't applied enough clamping force before. It will be easier to clamp it!
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010