Recommend me a frame

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
OK, so I've blown a rather large part of this and next years salary on a bike for the weekends but already my mind is engaging the N+1 rule and thinking ahead. Sooo:-

What is the best FGSS frame out there to fit my purpose?

I want something a bit racy but with full clearance for mudguards.

I already commute on a Paddywagon and this winter have ridden it for all my training rides too, so I'd like to get another FGSS built up as a winter trainer and reserve commuter. My plan is to do everything myself on said bike, buy frame and forks, fit all components and build the wheels myself.

So folks, what would you recommend? - steel, aluminium or carbon, maybe even consider titanium if such a thing exists. I'm looking for something that will be rewarding to ride and will cope with the rigours of the British winter.

Thanks in advance
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I've been hugely impressed by my Kinesis Decade.

Also, I'm looking to offload my Pearson Touche frame... For you, my friend, I make special price.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Got to be carbon or ti
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at Planet X/OnOne offerings.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    How about bespoke? Steel, any colour you choose, made locally.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    itboffin wrote:
    Got to be carbon or ti

Got to be steel.

I like the look of Tokyo Fixed's SS that can take mudguards. Although I think I'd try to bargain a carbon fork with it rather than the standard steel.
  • itboffin
    supersonic wrote:
    Have a look at Planet X/OnOne offerings.

I have one an i love it but hell it weighs a ton, not really suitable for an everyday hill west country SS hack.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    , tboffin"]Got to be carbon or ti

Got to be steel.

I like the look of Tokyo Fixed's SS that can take mudguards. Although I think I'd try to bargain a carbon fork with it rather than the standard steel.[/quote]
    I agree that steel is lovely but titanium might just be the way to go for longevity's sake.

@IP

Touche you say? That's Aluminium isn't it? Hmm...

What's your reason for offloading? is it well used? Oh and most importantly, what size is it?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jonny_trousers
    A ti SS winter trainer/reserve commuter? You must have some deep pockets Attica!
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    Demon bikes look tasty to me if you've got the bread.....and Enigma are pretty much the dogs.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    pearson touche would be my suggestion as well.

brilliant little frame.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    spasypaddy wrote:

brilliant little frame.

The Touche or your LBS's version. I got my LBS's version in a striking blood red colour - looks stunning 3 years on -the paint he uses is very thick and tough. Cracking frame, even when fully loaded with panniers racks/lights.
  • How about a nice Bob Jackson? Or a Burls if you fancy Ti?

I would have bought a Bob Jackson instead of the Equilibrium, except for the fact that I work with a guy called Bob Jackson, and I couldn't really say that I liked riding my Bob Jackson fast and hard before and after work each day.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How about a nice Bob Jackson? Or a Burls if you fancy Ti?

I would have bought a Bob Jackson instead of the Equilibrium, except for the fact that I work with a guy called Bob Jackson, and I couldn't really say that I liked riding my Bob Jackson fast and hard before and after work each day.
    I've been riding Bob Jackson hard all day and now I'm nice and sweaty. Bob needs lots of lube to make for a fun ride and now its time for both of us to have a wash.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • spasypaddy
    fossyant wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

brilliant little frame.

The Touche or your LBS's version. I got my LBS's version in a striking blood red colour - looks stunning 3 years on -the paint he uses is very thick and tough. Cracking frame, even when fully loaded with panniers racks/lights.
    yeah i have my LBS version of the pearson hanzo it rides like a dream.
  • attica
    A ti SS winter trainer/reserve commuter? You must have some deep pockets Attica!

Not deep pockets, I'm just planning the long game. I can start identifying parts now and gradually build the bike up over a year or more, a frame just seems the logical place to start. I've no idea on price and the budget is as big as it needs to be, it'll just take longer to save for something expensive. In the meantime I'm not short of bikes to keep me going :)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jonny_trousers
    How about a nice Bob Jackson? Or a Burls if you fancy Ti?

:lol:

I have to say I'm afraid I can't agree with those who love the Pearson Touche. Mine was the single most uninspiring frame I have ever owned. I had a scruffy looking Fuji Track prior to the Touche and when I finally went back to it, having been knocked off the Touche, it was like a breath of fresh air. I'm sure the Touche is a beautifully made frame and the paint job is indeed excellent, but the only reason I can see for having an aluminium single-speed is if it is particularly cheap or you are into track riding where the rigidity is worth something. Riding across London's potholed roads on a Touche is enough to loosen fillings. The Pearson Hanzo certainly looks like an interesting frame, however.

Condor Tempo?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I got an early 80's Holdsworth off ebay for 150 quid - rides like butter . . . lovely

Go for an old frame. Old frames are cool . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • spasypaddy
    i have the hanzo and i love it but i prefer the ride of aluminium over steel
  • Go for a Cotic Roadrat, the premier commuters choice, a little racey but can be set up as anything you want, similarly the Kaffenback is good, a mate has one with discs and gears on, the replacable fixed/conventional dropout look a good idea rather than the suits all type of the cotic.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have a Pearson Touche and as nice as it is I prefer the feel of steel. If I had a bit of spare cash and I wanted a mudguard / steel / FG / do-it-all bike I'd get a Condor Tempo no doubt.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    769.jpg
    Steel, retro, SS and guards, what more could you possibly want? Well with this bike you'll want less......less iron and steel! Probably worth more as scrap than the complete bike costs (about £30).....ye those are steel rims and rod brakes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    What you need is a Giant 980c. Carbon with aluminium lugs, steel fork and Campagnolo Record headset...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • itboffin
    Hey Attica I have a new 1" Campag record headset you can have, start from there :wink: