Scott CR1 Comp wheel upgrade

Mickyg88
Mickyg88 Posts: 289
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I recently bought my first road bike, a Scott cr1 comp, as it's a 2011 model I got a £400 discount, it has the standard Alex rims and continental tyres, I was wondering if anyone has purchased the same and made a worthwhile wheel/tyre upgrade? As I got a £400 discount I'm prepared to spend the difference on wheels/ tyres, any ideas what to buy and how much weight I could save.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Micky, just pop over to Road Buying Advice, type "wheels £400" in the search box and bob will be your uncle. Tyres will also come up if you search. In fact you may be surprised by how often these themes come up :wink:

FWIW, I would vote for RS80s, paired with some Schwalbe ZX HD which could save you 500-750g (as a guess, not knowing the weight of your current setup). The combo will make the bike feel lighter and more nimble but you probably won't actually be much faster (try a 20 mile ride with and without a full water bottle as a useful ref). Save your OEM wheels for the turbo and winter, I find a spare set always handy.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Micky, just pop over to Road Buying Advice, type "wheels £400" in the search box and bob will be your uncle. Tyres will also come up if you search. In fact you may be surprised by how often these themes come up :wink:

FWIW, I would vote for RS80s, paired with some Schwalbe ZX HD which could save you 500-750g (as a guess, not knowing the weight of your current setup). The combo will make the bike feel lighter and more nimble but you probably won't actually be much faster (try a 20 mile ride with and without a full water bottle as a useful ref). Save your OEM wheels for the turbo and winter, I find a spare set always handy.

YEP... what he said.
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite would be in the same level for quality/weight as the RS80. Probably slightly stiffer and more bomb proof than the RS80 depending on rider weight.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... r_1677.htm

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPS ... lset_(pair)
  • i too have a scott cr1, had the same alex rims until a few months ago, now have mavic askiums, which came with tyres as well, and roll even better than the alex's, so i would definately recommend the mavic range
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • scarthie99
    scarthie99 Posts: 209
    Hope Hoops Pro III RS-Mono on Mavic Open Pro road wheelset i put this on my super six.winstanleysbikes front £98 back wheel £170 you need to buy Hope Quick-Release MTB Skewer Set as well all in at £296.then buy some new tires 8)
  • Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    Thanks guys, the Alex that come with the cr1 weigh in at 2.9 kilos so any of the recommendations will save at least a kilo, some weight saving there, it will bring the bike down to a bit over 16 pounds.... Very worthwhile upgrade! Especially with new tyres.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    scarthie99 wrote:
    Hope Hoops Pro III RS-Mono on Mavic Open Pro road wheelset i put this on my super six.winstanleysbikes front £98 back wheel £170 you need to buy Hope Quick-Release MTB Skewer Set as well all in at £296.then buy some new tires 8)
    Nope. Far too noisy freewheel. Honestly the racket would soon drive you mad!
  • scarthie99
    scarthie99 Posts: 209
    the Mavic Ksyrium Elite rear wheel make a noisy.the hope noisy is not that bad
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    RS80's are a good light wheel. I'm pretty light so don't get any flex when I'm climbing. Have just pulled the trigger on a pair of Elites as so many posters were raving about them. If you do go for the Elites may I recommend Velo Ecosse, £399 with free conti tyres and tubes and great customer service.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?